Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pinned in my stand

nginth

I got out for the first time Monday Night, and had a fairly successful hunt. I saw two really nice bucks at about 6:30 feeding about 40-50 yards from me. I never had a shot but the two bucks remained in the field until after dark. I stuck it out till about 8:00 then got down from my stand. The path I had come in on was a creek bed with a steep incline to my right, but it was to dark to see. My only other option was to try to sneak around the field to safely get out. Needless to say, I bumped a couple of deer to get out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to move the deer without them knowing what you are? How can you scare deer without affecting their pattern? Should I choose a more accessable path?

After I bumped those deer I found myself questioning my actions, it really left me feeling sick. Any suggestions would be great.

I had the same thing happen a couple years ago. I found that if you have taken proper scent precautions and move slowly hunched over after dark it didn't alter their movements. I used the same stand 2 days later and the deer still came right back to the same spot.

Well this is so simple, You just let me sit there on Sunday
grin.gif
. Well I hope I can go I will let you know on Sunday. Later

You did the right thing by waiting until 8:00, if they didn't smell you good chance they didn't know what you were. Have you thought about carry a small flashlight? I always carry one in my backpack for nights just like you had
wink.gif
. I don't think it will cause a problem if you use it sparingly, such as walking the creek bottom.

Hunting so close to a evening food source that deer are using can be difficult to exit your stand. You might want to consider moving your stand back in the cover and set up on one of the trails leading to the food source. This can be a productive stand site, as well as, making it easier to leave your stand at dark without spooking deer feeding in the field.

Good Luck
TB

I read an article a couple of years ago that gave a number of options for this type of problem. The first was to have someone drive and pick you up from your stand which for most isnt practical. Making some type of noise like dropping your backpack or fannypack also has worked for me without dirupting patterns. Making noies like a dog barking or coyote howling have also moved deer for me to get out of my stand without overly spooking deer.

Two Beards is on the right track. I'd use a smalll flashlight and follow the creek back out the way you came in. I have a small (two AAs) flashlight made by Rayovac that has a swivel head and came with an extra red lens reflector. It has a clip on it so you can put it on the bill of you cap, leaving your hands free for carrying/balancing. I don't know it for a fact, but the red light doesn't seem to bother wildlife much. I've used it the last couple of years to get to my turkey blind setup and have seen fox, deer, coons and coyotes. The light didn't bother them and they moved on when they winded me ... good thing turkeys can't smell as well as they see.

The other thing you might do is try entering from another direction while it's light and try to pick a route that's least likely to disturb the deer, since you now have a good idea where they're at. Reflective thumbtacks (Bright Eyes) or small pieces of flagging can help you retrace your steps when it's dark.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. If anyone knows of a place that I can pick up those Bright eyes just let me know.

I've run across this situation a number of times.

When hunting near a farm lane having someone come pick you up works well. I just tell them to have the lights on and drive right up to my stand, I jump in and we quickly leave.

When that isn't possible I use the barking dog technique. I start out with low volume and facing away from the deer and gradually get louder trying to sound like a beagle chasing some deer. If I'm watching a food source I try to wait long enough for them to eat a fair amount so they got what they came after and are more likely to return.

The best technique when hunting a food source is to choose a stand that allows approaching and leaving out of sight and staying down wind. Sandy bottom creeks are great, wooded valleys work well. The problem is some spots just don't have good routes.

My favorite stands are far enough from both the bedding and feeding areas so I move in, the deer move through, and I sneek out.

Good Hunting!
Old Buck

Top Bottom