Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Plan B" "Hang and Hunt" Success!

lefler168

Well, on November 6th I got it done and scored on a great buck after going to my back up plan. Here is a quick story about the hunt, and for those of you who would rather watch the video, here is the link!

VIDEO LINK:
http://trophypursuit.com/blake/2012/11/14/video-plan-b-hang-and-hunt-success/

Every November, all of the hard work put into gaining permission to hunt farms, running trail cameras, and scouting whitetails comes to a head. Its the time of year that I take all of the knowledge I have gained during the off season, and put it to use. This year was particularly special for me as I set out to conquer a new farm, and a completely new area to chase whitetails here in Iowa. The first step for harvesting mature bucks is finding them, so I spent countless hours (more than usual) scouting all summer long. Luckily for me, I was able to develop a very solid hit list and get a pretty good idea on how to hunt this new area. However, if there is one thing I have come to always live by it is the rule of “contingency plans.” Prior to starting my November hunting, I gained permission on a piece of property near the area I had focused most of my scouting energy during the summer months. My whole reasoning behind doing so was to have a “contingency plan” in case something were to happen keeping me from following my “plan A.”

On November 5th, Just one day after filming Chris score on a great buck, I began hunting a buck I call “Two Tall.” Although there were several bucks in the area I would have put an arrow through, my goal was to hunt this giant 8 and hopefully put myself into a position to harvest him. On Day 1, “plan A” seemed to be perfect. The wind was perfect for me to slip in and do a “hang and hunt” in an area that I had several pictures of “Two Tall” leading up to November. After slipping in early that afternoon, I saw lots of buck activity, and even had a close encounter with a 2.5 year old buck I call “Slim,” but no sign of “Two Tall.” Day 1 was a success, and I knew that if I stuck to the game plan, it was only a matter of time before an opportunity would present itself.

Unfortunately, the morning of November 6th brought a change in the weather, and wind direction that forced me to back off the area where “Two Tall” was living, and hunt the opposite side of the farm. Not long after getting set up, I passed a nice 2.5 year old 8 pointer as he was cruising the timber in search of does. Not long after passing the buck, everything took a turn for the worse. Not only did some heavy rain begin to bear down on our area, but to add insult to injury, a local coyote hunter had released several of their dogs on a hot coyote trail leading them all over the timber we were hunting. Needless to say, our hunt was cut short that morning, and with the afternoon bringing yet another wind change, “plan B” was about to go into affect.

On the afternoon of November 6th, the skies cleared and brought a Southwest wind that had originally been forecasted as a North wind. (Gotta love the weather man!) Before heading to the woods, Chris and I sat down and went over my “plan B,” as a Southwest wind was in fact the only wind that did not set up well for where I had originally planned to go. After using google earth to take a closer look at the new “plan B” farm, Chris and I found what looked like a good area geographically to walk in with our Bloodsport’s and find a tree for the evening hunt. With the wind in our face, we walked in to a creek bottom area and were immediately shocked at the amount of buck sign that littered the area. It didn’t take long before we had located a natural pinch point between a ridge, and the creek that had several heavily travelled trails leading to a standing corn field. Now, I am not big on talking about how great a certain product is, but I will say this: the Muddy Bloodsport hang on stands and sticks are the best on the market in terms of portability and quietness. In about 15 minutes, Chris and I were 20 feet high, and had hardly made any noise getting there. There is no way to prove it, but aside from having a favorable wind, I think our ability to remain undetected by sound played a key part in our success, and the Bloodsport stands are designed to do just that.

After settling in, I hit the horns together for the first time, knowing we were in a great position to draw a buck out of the thick brush. Not long after finishing the sequence, Chris alerted me to a “giant” coming towards us through the creek bottom. It didn’t take long, and as if we had set a date and time to meet, the tall tine timber giant made his way to 10 yards. Just as I settled my pin on his vitals, he caught a glimpse of our movement just before I released Rage tipped Bloodsport right through his boiler room! As the emotion of a successful hunt came over me, I knew I had arrowed one of my largest bucks to date! After a short blood trail, my goal of having success in a brand new area was fulfilled with a giant “timber pig” ten pointer!

1367-2-120_buck.jpg

I want to personally thank all of the landowners who allow me to hunt, as well as my family and friends who make the experience of every pursuit in the field more enjoyable; thank you! Congratulations to everyone who has had success, and good luck to those who are still waiting on that moment of opportunity!

Your video is great. I would never want to work that hard at it but I sure enjoy you taking us along. SWEET BUCK!!!!!

Very nice, that has to be especially rewarding after your strategic thoughts and actions put you in a spot to be successful! :D

Top Bottom