Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planning an elk hunt

I am starting to plan an elk hunt in colorado for next fall. Looking for advice or input from guys that have done this kind of trip before.
The trip will consist of 3 or 4 guys. We will be rifle hunting. Would love to do it with a bow but will prefer to stick with a rifle for the first time.
We want to camp and most likely hunt public land. Not looking to spend a fortune but would be interested in possibly having a guide for a day to get us on the right track. Would hate to spend the money for the trip and tag and be wondering around the mountains like total morons.
Does anyone have any advice? What to do what not to do? Where to go or where not to go? Guide services? What NOT to forget while being 12+ hours from home?
Thanks for any input in advance!!!

I wish I could help you more, but I'm planning my first elk hunt for August. The biggest couple things I can pass on that my outfitter told me, make sure your in the best physical shape you can be, get a good pair of hiking boots, have them broke in way way way before you get there, be prepared for any kind of weather, be sure to have lightweight rain gear, and make sure you have the best optics you can afford.

Colorado has a lot of good limited entry units that don't require any points at all. You'll have to start your legwork now, so you don't end up hunting an OTC unit. You'll need to pour over stats and settle on your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice units by the time the draw rolls around March or aprilish. Lot of work to plan a western hunt. Get a subscription to eastman's, which will break down the process.... It's a good place to start.

Been going to Colorado hunting since the late 70's. We've hunted rifle, ML, archery, early, late, cold, hot, rain, mud, snow and hail. Sometimes we even get one. We always go self guided, public land.
What kind of shape are you in? How old are you? How high can you reasonably hunt? Self guided? If you want to call me, we can talk.
But right now it's 3 a.m. and the forecast is for a SSE wind. I have a late ML tag and this is the wind I need for my honey hole in Monona county. I'll check back.

My advise... start getting in REAL shape now. I started working out last year July 1st and dropped 30 lbs. by Sept. 5th. I went from being able to run for 4 minutes at a time, and no more than a mile and a half, to being able to run 5 miles in less than an hour continuously. Even with the work I did, I still wasn't in good enough shape, although I was able to keep up with guys who looked to be in much better shape than I. There wasn't a day that was easy.

Climb hills with a pack on. You can't do enough lunges. And mentally prepare for some tough work. Elk hunting is not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Get some good boots and hunting clothes.

Thanks for all the input so far!! I figured fitness would play a big roll in the trip. I work construction for a living so I am in decent shape but I know I will need to start a cardio type workout this summer.

Another question would be what kind of packs have guys used and had good luck with? This is one item I don't currently own.

As far as footwear I have a pair of lace up rockies that aren't the most comfortable. I also have a pair of muck boots but am thinking they might not be the type of boot for the terrain????

Anyone have any areas or zones that you have had good luck with??

Thanks again for the help!!!

Thanks for all the input so far!! I figured fitness would play a big roll in the trip. I work construction for a living so I am in decent shape but I know I will need to start a cardio type workout this summer.

Another question would be what kind of packs have guys used and had good luck with? This is one item I don't currently own.

As far as footwear I have a pair of lace up rockies that aren't the most comfortable. I also have a pair of muck boots but am thinking they might not be the type of boot for the terrain????

Anyone have any areas or zones that you have had good luck with??

Thanks again for the help!!!

I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and offer a perspective from living in elk country (not too far from CO). Being in shape from working construction and being in good overall shape from cardio are two different things. I don't mean that to sound mean, but you truly have to be prepared to be in cardio shape. One thing that you will not overcome, no matter how hard you train, is the oxygen deficiency at the elevations elk tend to live. I see it all the time from guys from Phoenix, southern AZ, or other low elevation/flat places that come up here to 7,000' elevation and are out of shape and sucking wind. Even the ones who are in shape, get caught by the lower oxygen levels. It usually takes a few days to acclimate enough to not feel winded with every step. TRAIN AS HARD AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!!! Especially if you are going to have to pack an elk out. Never stop thinking you are in good enough shape. If you don't have hills to climb, a stairmaster or treadmill on a steep angle with a heavy pack will work. I train for wildland firefighting with a 65 lb pack most years.

DO NOT wear Mucks. If you don't have comfortable boots that you can hike all day long in varied (i.e. STEEP) terrain (completely broken in before you get there), your hunt will be over before it starts. Spend the money on a good pair of Gore-tex boots like Danner, Kenetrek, better Rockies, etc. In the early season when its warm, I wear my White's wildfire boots. They are bomb proof except for not being waterproof. In addition to good boots, don't skimp on socks. I love my Smartwool hiking socks with the Smartwool liner sock. I also love my Smartwool hunting socks with the same liner. Carry moleskin, too, in case of blisters. The last thing you want is to end up in a hospital with an infected blister, wondering if you're going to lose your toe, foot, or lower part of your leg (trust me, it sucks royally)!

As for packs, there are tons of good packs out there for western-style hunting. Badlands are not as popular out here, IMO because they don't afford the ability to get meat out on the first trip, unless you have a pack frame with it. Blacks Creek, Eberlestock, Tenzing, and Mystery Ranch are all great packs for western hunting. My Blacks Creek has a separate 1500 sq.in. meat compartment that unzips to get meat out on your first trip back to the truck. That means less gear/weight to carry compared to having a different pack and a pack frame. All of the above mentioned packs will allow you to bring quarters or other meat out on the first trip.

If you don't have a good knife and sharpener, get one. Carry at least two knives (I carry 5) unless you carry a Havalon (my 5th). Keep a small 1st-aid kit handy, too. And stuff to make a fire in an emergency. If you need good light weight ideas for fire-starter stuff, let me know.

I have to pick up my daughter from a friend's, so I have to run. If I think of anything else important, I'll let you know.

Good luck!

Even the ones who are in shape, get caught by the lower oxygen levels. It usually takes a few days to acclimate enough to not feel winded with every step. TRAIN AS HARD AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!!!

Good luck!

Pretty sure I made it about 10 steps before I was sucking wind on my trip. No matter how hard a person trains, you cannot compensate enough for the lower O levels.

Much easier to overcome tho with cardio training beforehand.

I want to start hunting out west so bad! Having a baby in June, but after this year I am ready! As a teacher, I have the ability to come out in the summer and scout. Not to hijack a thread, but if anyone has a hunt planned and is going to be doing any summer scouting PLEASE let me know. Would love to come out just for the scouting experience alone. Then, would like to put in for a couple hunts with a 2-3 year draw period and go out every summer beforehand and scout.

Definitely agree with AZHunter.

Do NOT wear your muck boots. I picked up a pair of Meindl from cabelas. They were expensive, but they are the best hiking boots I've ever had. Very comfortable after getting broke in, and very waterproof. I was the only one on our trip that didn't get wet feet. And believe me, sometimes there is an insane amount of dew/rain out there when you're brush busting, and you'll get soaked if it rains at all. So, I think they were worth the investment.

Also, be thinking about what guys you are going with, and what gear you can split up, so everyone isn't bringing out one of everything (it's expensive, and lots of extra weight). Try and share as much as you can, and get quality stuff.

Of all the packs that we had out there, I've got a badlands and my buddy does too, another had a Tenzing, and the other had some military pack. The Tenzing was by far our favorite after seeing them in action. Very versatile and light.

First, you need to give us more specific information on what type of hunt you will be doing. "Camping" is not specific enough since there are specific types in back country hunting.

Second, I'm a whitetail hunter first and elk hunter second. With no disrespect to anyone here, you need to be asking these questions on specific elk or backcountry sites. Lots of good information here but you will learn more there.

I'm no expert but have hunted in the high country in Wyoming and Colorado. I can give you my take on bowhuntig elk in September. I have bowhunted with others and solo hunted. I did a 7 day solo hunt at 10-12500 ft. with a 8 mile pack in from the trailhead with a Tenzing 6000 that weighed 56lbs ( I already have cut my list down to decrease weight) this year.

1. There is a difference of being in shape and being in mountain shape. A flatlander will never be in mountain shape since you cannot simulate the oxygen. Plus, the other variables that you encounter in the back country.
When you think you are in shape, get in better shape. Running is great but you need to get a full backpack and walk some elevation. If you dont have any there, you can go to the gym with your boots and backpack and get on the stairmaster.

2. Plan out your meals... Eastern hunters take too much food. You will need roughly 2000-2500 calories a day. You dont want empty calories either

3. Know where you can get water: This is your life source. You need to be hydrated. Water is heavy so you need to camp near a source.

4. Clothes.... Buy clothes for elk hunting and leave your whitetail clothes at home. Merino Wool !!!!!

5. Boots: as mentioned in pervious posts you need quality boots that are broken in... Blisters can ruin a hunt very quickly. Even though they may be waterproof put mink oil on them. Gaitors are optional but I found them to be benefical in the am with the morning dew.

6. Sleeping bags/tents: again get one warmer than you think or what it says on the bag. It will get cold in rifle season. you need to do your research.

7. You will pack to much stuff... general rule if you arent going to use more than 2 times you dont need it.

8. If you are packing in yourself: you need cut pack weight.. in western hunting ultralight means $$$. The lighter it is the more money it is.

9. many good brands to prepare food and hot drin: I used a Jetboil and very happy.

This just scratches the surface but you should get you to thinking.

As for hunting

1. Get as far a way from the trail head as possible
2. limit your calling, let the elk tell you how and when to call. if you have to take one call... cow call
3. find a high vantage point and glass
4. you need to understand thermals and when they shift in the mountains
They can switch in a second if you go from a sunny meadow and then
dive into some dark timber
5. While at camp, whisper dont talk loud !!!
6. its not whitetail hunting. You need to put miles on those boots. dont stalk through the mountains at a snails pace like you are hunting deer.

again, its endless

Three great magazines that have a wealth of information: Elk Hunter, Elk Exterme, Western Hunter. Those magazines remind me of the way North American Whitetail used to be before it was bought out and turned into an advertisement magazine.

Last edited:
When it comes to boots quit thinking about "hunting" boots and start thinking about "hiking" boots. Best to have more then one pair and broken in. Gaiters are a huge plus. Your waterproof boots will still get wet when water wicks down your socks.

Top Bottom