Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

plantain

J

justP65H

Wondering about plantain. Had a vendor (maxi-rack.com) at the classic rave about. Anyone had any experience with it??

Lancelot Plantain
Perennial. An exciting new option for food plots! Rapid
establishing, drought tolerant, mineral rich perennial
herb(higher in calcium, copper and selenium than
chicory) . Highly palatable. Winter dormant. For
well-drained soil, no standing water.

We predict that Plantain will be in more blends in the
future.

Planted alone, 10 lbs/acre, mixed with other seeds, 2-3
lbs/acre.

Wouldn't they be about the same, or at least very similar to a paw paw? I have read that paw paws are great for attracting deer.

The 'Bonker

I think he is talking about the "lawn weed" versus the starchy banana like fruit. Do a google image search for plantain and you will see both.

Not sure I would want plantain in my foodplots, but it sometimes amazes me what deer will browse.

It looks a little like chicory but a little too much like a "weed" for me...haven't tried it with so many other good products out there.

I have volunteer plantain coming up in my clover plot. I have never seen any evidence that deer were browsing it and it seems to crowd out the clover with its wide leaves. I have only read of it being an invasive weed thats hard to get rid of, I'm pretty sure I wouldnt want to plant it on purpose.

This plot was planted in '03 and this spring it had plenty of other "junk" besides plantain making its way into the plot. I just nuked it with a weak round-up solution a week ago. If it works, great, if not, just another excuse to use the tiller.

Ever since Paul's post on this last year I've been watching the volunteer plantain growing at my place (mostly along the lane through the fields) and have yet to see any evidence of browsing. I don't know if the variety in the mixes is any more palatable by wildlife but I'm not in any hurry to try it....

[ QUOTE ]
That would be the nice "John Deere" tiller , would it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the one! Turned under my plots with it this spring, it looked like an acre of chocolate cake. Man that thing does a sweet job.
BTW, my neighbor got a kick out of your sticker job.
grin.gif

Top Bottom