Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planted rye too early?

codywright

TENRINGER
So I planted cereal rye on July 25 or so. Early I know but it was the only available time I could do it and get the help to do it. On Aug 15 I noticed it came up good(2" tall) but had a little yellow tint to it. Now it looks to be almost bare ground. Did my rye die off, go dormant or did the deer feed heavily? I'm not hudred percent sure, but I am asking if it is possible to plant it to early to where it actually died off? There wasn't a lack of moisture thats for sure. I will try to get a picture of it.

If you plant rye early and deer don't destroy it,,it should be very tall by now. Possibly poor soil if it turned yellow? I sprayed an area I have not used for a few yrs round-up. Let weeds die, then just broadcast rye into it, then whipped the weeds down over it. Had good frequent moisture on it and it came up pretty good just sitting in the dead weeds. Did it back a couple weeks ago. did some more this week, but so far rain has missed Ottumwa area. Lookin at radar,,,maybe this afternoon?!

I had an existing great stand of rye from last fall that I let mature, I mowed it and disced it in late july to reseed itself. Looked like a thick stand of rye on Aug 15 with the tips being yellowish. First part of Sept it is dead and bare ground. I'm guessing it was just too early because there was a small area that I did not disc in and just left the rye straw on top. That stuff is still looking great. As far as I can tell it just got too hot for it and it was not protected because there was no lack of moisture thats for sure. I broadcast and lighted disced in again last week so we will see what happens now. If it dies this time I know there is a soil problem I guess but last year the rye couldn't have looked any better.

Best time to plant rye is right around this time up through October so I wouldn't be surprised if the heat got it. Deer only eat it when its young and tender so if you can get some help I'd get out there now and re-plant. You'll have a great plot in a couple of weeks with some timely rain.

FWIW rye germinates great by hand seeding so if you can't get help just taking a hand seeder over the dirt will work wonders.

I did, a week ago tomorrow. Hand broadcast 50lb on roughly 3/4 of an acre and light disced with ATV disc then cultipacked. Should be good to go temp has gone down and 1.7" of rain the other day. Will post pic in a week or so.

Cereal rye grows best on well-drained loamy soils but is tolerant of both heavy clays and droughty, sandy soils. It often grows in infertile soils where other cereal grains fail. Optimum soil pH is 5.0*7.0, but pH in the range of 4.5*8.0 is tolerated.

Cereal rye is the most winter-hardy of all cereal grains, enduring temperatures as low as -30°F once established. It can germinate and grow at temperatures as low as 33°F; however, optimal temperatures are much higher.

Was the ground extremely wet or lower type ground OR got a ton of rain on it and waterlogged it?

Was the ground extremely wet or lower type ground OR got a ton of rain on it and waterlogged it?

I just broadcasted in this type of soil after parts of my brassicas got flooded out. Hope it stays dry and it germinates quickly.

Top Bottom