Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting a new fenceline?

Maggs

Got a ? for one of you experts. A farm I hunt just dozed out a fenceline & put in new fence leaving appx. 30' of cleared ground where they removed alot of elm & osage trees. It will be pastured with cattle next Fall & I would assume he will plant some type of grass in there for the cattle. Could I put rye or anything else in there now for the deer that wouldn't harm his plans for grazing for the cattle or affect whatever seed he puts down? Maybe there is something I could plant that would even help his grasses? I will never have an opportunity to plant food plots as all of the farms I hunt are farmed but would love to take advantage of this opportunity if I can. Thanks in advance.
Maggs

If it were ME, I'd be putting some clover, annual rye and maybe some forage oats. All would be great for deer, his ground and cattle later. Alf-alfa possibly as well.

Put some rye down for sure as it will inhibit weed growth, easy to grow, and deer will come to it all winter. Now is perfect time to plant. Alfalfa is $$ and more sensitive to pH than rye or clover. I believe alfalfa almost needs 7.0 but rye and clover do pretty good at 6.3 and up. EVERYTHING likes 7.0 though /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The clover is good as well but may be more to help him than you as it will be better next year but if he tills it or re-plants it will be a wasted effort. Both rye and oats will be easy, perfect to plant now, be a late season draw and great for gobblers! Won't hurt him in the least! By the way....not an expert...just somebody who has failed alot and learned along the way.

Thanks. Sounds like I've got to get some rye seed to spread. I should have mentioned this is pastured timber so there will be no ph checking or anything; just some grass seed spread.
Maggs

Just make sure you get Field Rye and not rye grass. Even if pH was down it would be too late to have an immediate impact onthe levels as lime I think usually takes a few months to work based on the farmer that rents my place. But, maybe it works pretty quick? Haven't really ever asked "how long" it takes.

I just picked up some rye from Welter's. One bushell shipped to my house in less than 2 days. $25 total. 12 for the seed and 12 for shipping. It's a big bag also probably 40 lbs. Bent over to pick it up off the porch and was a little surprised. Wish I would have known about that place in the spring.
Allot cheaper than the brand name seed I paid crazy prices for.

Check with the farm owner before you plant anything. I would say don't plant clover or alfalfa or rye because these as green plants are very bad for cattle. They develop large amounts of gas as they ferment in the cows many stomachs and will cause them to bloat and die. Ask before you cause yourself a problem, no matter how well intentioned, and if he says yes then go for it but only what he tells you to do.

Top Bottom