Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting Cover Amongst Walnut Trees

northcedar

I have a 25 year old hardwood plantation on 15 acres. Mostly black walnut. Over the years the deer have killed a lot of them, and the trees never grew on the high knobs to begin with. I'd like to get something else growing in the bare spots, and since our farm is most lacking in cover/bedding, that's what I was thinking. We have crops to the north and south, and I also have 7 acres of pasture killed and ready for switch grass seeding this winter. Does anyone have suggestions on what would go well in a spot such as this?
picture.php

If that was my ground I'd be sticking with more trees and shrubs. not mixing native grasses as the 2 don't mix well long term when you need to burn the natives off. I separate them into different areas. I would be intermixing cedars & shrubs, hands down. I'd then add some mast bearing trees in some areas that are not already on the property. So, if it were mine, I think i'd do 80-90% cedars/shrubs and then a combo of chestnuts, dwarf chinkapin oaks, persimmons (apples & pears as well of course) & oaks that are not already there (say like Swamp oak if you don't have those).
Oh, I see you were doing switchgrass to south, separate. PERFECT! Exactly what I'd do. Awesome!

Last edited:
You may have to kill the walnuts as they produce a chemical that will keep some other plants from growing.You may want to talk to your state forester what grows in your area.If you hinge cut or girdle the trees you may get growth started by letting the sun in if the canopy is very heavy

Top Bottom