Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting Fruit Trees

singlecoyote

Proud member of the IBA
What do you guys think about planting in a week or two? Is it too late? Also any tips or thoughts would be great.

We just had a frost warning so I'm kind of glad I haven't planted yet but worried I will miss the window.

I've planted fruit trees well into the summer. I just made sure they had plenty of water. These were container trees, not sure if it matters, continer vs bare root.

The 'Bonker

If you are talking apple you are probably fine, I have planted tons of them. Apple are about the least fussy. Now, if you are planting some others, say Persimmons, man are those buggers tough. You're fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">container vs bare root.
</div></div>

That would make a difference...bare root trees need to be planted ASAP with no regard for the weather. They are dormant (or should be) so weather temps aren't relevant.

Container or balled trees can be planted ar any time and cold weather would be the least of my worries.

Planting mid-summer can be tricky if you are unable to water them.

Spring and fall when temps are cooler and more moisture is likely would be my preferred times to plant fruit trees.

Thanks - I definately will not be able to water these. Is there anywhere in south central Iowa to purchase Persimmons other than ordering them? Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Single Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks - I definately will not be able to water these. Is there anywhere in south central Iowa to purchase Persimmons other than ordering them? Thanks again. </div></div>

Red Fern Farms may be a little to far for you to travel and they may also be sold out for this year.

They are located between Muscatine and Burlington east of Columbus Junction. Very small place but a very knowledgeable person if you have time to vist their farm sometime.

Top Bottom