Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Please Help

bplate

I hunt in mahaska county and have spent nearly all day long for the past four days in the stand. I havent been seeing much deer movement at all between 830 and 330. Im seeing the same few bucks everyday and they aren't really acting too interested in the dozen or so does that I also see everyday. I have pictures of some very nice deer and they are nowhere to be found. I just dont know what the deal is has the rut even started? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The rut is on and your nice bucks you saw might have paired up with a doe and won't leave her. Don't give up if your seeing does bucks will try to find them. I have had good luck (not all the time mind you) with the "can" it might help in this situation might as well try. Good Luck

Yep...sounds like peak breeding is going on, as I'm sure it is.

Stick in there with the does...hunt the does...you need to put in the time right now and catch a mature buck inbetween does.

Could have days of sitting and then bam...there he is!

Well yesterday i sat from 1-430 and saw a small 8 at around 230 and 3 does at around 3:45. Not much moving at all buy im sure if one of those does were hot then im guessing i would of had a buck in view. But just stick with it.

I would guess that it doesnt help that the farmers in the area still have a ton of corn in either, and this morning on my way in to the stand there must have been 8-10 coyotes howling and yipping just a hundred yards from the timber. would that have any effect on deer movement.

I just got back from a week in southern iowa and the begining of the week I seen a lot of bucks cruising and it really slowed torward the weekend. I slipped into some bedding areas and that is when I started seeing the big boys and all of them were paired up with does. I think the next week or so we will see a lot of that through out the state. Keep on it and they will start cruising again in a week or two.

stick with it, at any second, that doe who has been playing hard to get might give in, and he will be looking for another doe!!!!!

Yote,
Are you hunting a single stand or multiple stands? Are you hunting nearest a food source, bedding area or something in between? If food source, get a stand put up near the bedding area and try to catch them coming in our going out. Seems like a lot of the quality bucks I'm seeing right now aren't moving too far from the cover even when the does go to feed. They've been waiting them out and hanging back. The one thing I wouldn't do is to actually go into the bedding area itself. Try not to disrupt it by staying outside the fringe. During the day in particular the bucks may well run does around the fringes and even somewhat outside of that and give you an opportunity. Morning and evenings should be good in a setup like that for sure. Just my 2 cents.

Im hunting a piece of timber maybe 25 acres at tops and I have been setting in about four stands throughout the timber depending on the wind. Ive been focusing most of my time on the edge of the bedding area and along the edge of the timber bordering corn, beans, and hay. Just have to keep waiting I guess.

I seen some of the best chasing going on last night so far this year. Three seperate bucks dogging does all over in a cornfield. Unfortunaley I wasn't in the stand.

Top Bottom