Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot question

Kansasdeerslayer

PMA Member
I planted an acre plot sunday. Weather man said 60% chance of a good soaker on monday. Well, the storm missed us and now there is no rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. Whats gonna happen to my seed in the ground? Will it be ok with 10-14 days of no moisture or should I be ready to put more seed down just before our next storm? I planted winter rye, snow peas, radishes and turnips.

Sit tight and wait, the seed will not rot or dry out in2 weeks, The only thing you have to worry about is if there is enough moisture in the ground to sprout your seeds and then if it dries out too much and they die, other than that they will be fine.

If the ground is dry the seed is dry. No Worrys. Seed can lay dry in a bag for months and months without germinating....It can do the same on the ground.

Assuming the birds done eat all your rye seed you'll be alright. Its far worse to have a sprinkle enough to germinate the seed and then get nothing for a month.

I hope all you guys are right, I'm in a worse boat -- I planted radishes, turnips, and rape Aug. 16th and haven't had any significant germinization yet. The next chance for rain is Sunday when the cool down comes. I was hoping that tropical depression, or whatever they're calling it, would hit Texas (they are BONE dry down there) and then move on up into the midwest; but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I once planted clover and no-plow expecting rain like you did, but got nothing for about 5 weeks. I thought my plots where wasted but once it finally did rain it took off like crazy. You should be OK for a while.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom