Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plots gone cold

droptine37

Life Member
Anyone else notice the deer move off the fall mix plots the last week or so? Activity seems strong on any beans that are green and I am sure the acorns have something to do with it. Just trying to see if your seeing the same pattern we are or if our deer still haven't developed a taste for the fall mix yet.

Transition period, happens every year. Having multiple food sources is your best bet :way:

Deer were starting to hit the Dbltree brassica mix until 40 of the neighbors heffers got out and wiped out the 3 acre plot. Fortunaltely a little rain may get the rye going.

Do you have acorns to speak of, because if so, those trump everything IMO, particularly at this time of the year. Other factors would be if your food plots are in established areas or are new spots this year, are they screened by brush or anything or visible?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, they will definitely be there in time.

This is a transition time now where they're going from their summer patterns into their fall patterns. They'll be back on your plots soon enough. They're probably hitting the acorns really hard.

If your lucky they are hitting the acorns now. Get them all cleaned up prior to season and then they will probably pay more attention to your plots. The acorns on the farm have been dropping for weeks now.

I don't get to hunt or spend much time planting plots but I spend most of the day thinking about hunting and whitetail management.......Along with some football....ha ha. My family does a good job of keeping me updated about what's going on and it keeps me involved without being there. I will make up for lost time in a big way one of these days. Iowawhitetail has been my doorway to the deer woods for longer than I ever imagined but I am thankful for my path. Good luck this season fellas. Don't forget some of us can't join in the fun so keep us updated on what's going on.

I know you will enjoy it while you can. Before you know it you will be able to enjoy the woods again in the fall. Not many of us get to enjoy the dream you are living. :way:

Top Bottom