Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poachers and NR tags? READ!

I had a lenghty conversation with Julie today on the phone, pretty much got the same response. I think there may be some stories coming out in the future that will be written with more factual information and in a non bias way. I let her know how I truley felt about this issue and some of the upcoming issues that we as Resident Hunters are going to be faced with in the near future. I think the article was a joke, sure it talks about the fines and damages, but the way she portrays them is not acceptable! I will be having more discussions with her in the near future!

go get her turd!! i've been trying to work on an email to her myself, i just have trouble keeping it civil. i gotta say, the part about her being a neutral reporter, did make me laugh. i don't know how anyone could read that article, and not feel a bias on the "reporter's" behalf

tee roy, try and express how you feel to her and not slam doors she may honestly rethink her approach in the future. "Do not exasperate your childeren" works with more than child rearing.

I heard about this incident while I was hunting near there in November. From whom I believe to be a very reliable source he told me about this incident. What is not mentioned is that these guys lease this farm and when they did not draw the buck tags, they tried to renig (sp) on the lease and not pay the landowner. He enforced his lease so they bought the doe tags in order to be able to hunt and not have the lease go to waste. Thesed guys were not new to Iowa and have been leasing this particular farm for a number of years. My bottom line is that I believe they new exactly what they were doing and had every intention of shooting bucks when they came to hunt. They are criminals and got caught - they should not be allowed an Iowa hunting license in the future- they should not be sympathized with. The regulations are clear - they broke them -- they got caught - pay the price! I also appreciate all the ideas that I would benefit from in being able to hunt more frequently in your state but I didn't really see why you should try to develop plans to keep these "slobs" and they are "slobs and scum" from breaking the law. Even harsher fines and a lifetime ban from getting another Iowa hunting license would be more effective.

Onecam, Love your idea about the doe tag with the anysex tag. I think it's long overdue. I'm not willing to resign myself to an increase in the number of tags though. I think the resident hunter can and needs to step up to the plate & tell your legislators that we will pay more for our tags to avoid this. If they look at how we responded to the $26 doe tags to help manage the herd they have to give us a chance. The DNR will be on our side if we speak to our willingness to support them financially. In the end it's all about the ca$h. When you have a DNR employee advocating more tags to remove temptation from poaching (that's how it was presented in the article)times must be pretty tough. We as a State are long overdue to provide the DNR with a guaranteed stream of revenue (Say 1/2 % on the sales tax) and we could avoid all this discussion. Why have to tinker with something that we've obviously been doing right for so long when it's only about the $. How many peiople realize that all the cash from the extra doe tags went to support the fisheries side of the budget due to plummeting fishing license sales? Think about the public ground that could be bought with 1/2% on the sales tax!!! Then we could more easily increase the NR tags totals.
Also, Onecam, if you advocate the removal of the 35% cap would you proportion the tags out per county to avoid the inevitable hotspots? This may seem like a non issue to all of us until you are the one who loses their honeyhole to a new NR bow hunter. Remember, they tend to lease for the entire season! Maggs

1. NO MORE non-res doe only tags.
2. Increase non-res price any-sex tags to help pay for DNR issues.
3. Increase number of non-res tags reasonably ie: 500-750 more.

Top Bottom