Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poachers Busted..

buckshotxx

Thursday Nov. 11 DNR officer Dallas Davis stopped a truck in Appanoose county. 5 men from Louisiana where here in Iowa to bowhunt, but where unable to buy buck tags, 3 of the men shot 4 bucks total. The men lost all there equipment, the 4 deer, and where fined a total of $17,000. All 4 of the bucks where UNDER 150 B&C, which with the new Iowa law is $,2000-$5,000 in fines and 80 hrs of community service, or in lieu of the community service is $4,000-$10,000 in fines. If the deer are OVER 150 B&C it is $5,000-$10,000 in fines and 80 hrs, or $10,000-$20,000 in fines for no community service.

Lavin J LeBlanc and Gareth R LeBlanc where fined $249 & $4,000 in restitution each. Jerry D Parria who took two bucks was fined $588 and $8,000 in restitution. The three men confessed to shooting the 4 bucks, saying with so many buck around they couldnt resist the temptation.

I think they didn't even come close to paying for there crime.

WHAT A BUNCH OF DUMB BASTARDS. People like that need a couple good ol boys to find them doing that and teach them a leason. I volenteer myself.

These aren't the only ones out there breaking the rules. Carry your cell phones, keep your eyes and ears open, copy down license numbers and all other relevant information and keep your CO informed. Let's help Iowa get the reputation that we are all tough on poachers.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

We don't have a lot of CO's but we sure have a lot of dedicated sportsmen and women who want to put a stop to poaching!

Is anyone else with me on this?

Old Buck

Thank God they were caught. I agree that the penalties are too light. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of poaching done in Iowa is done by residents, many of which are in one of the "good ol' boy" networks. It's time the DNR cracked down on them instead of trying to be well liked.

Congrats and thanks to the officer for performing his duties well.

I'm with you Old Buck
waytogo.gif
I have my CO and local Sheriff department numbers in my phone. It only takes a few minutes and word will get around that poachers are being watched very carefully.

mole

I agree we have to crack down on these idiots!!!! I have the TIP hotline number in my cell phone.... the only problem is that I can not get a cell phone signal in my main hunting area. I have to drive 2 miles down the road to get a signal... fortunately I have not needed to use it.

I couldn't get the TIP number to work on my cell phone this fall when I was trying to report some people shooting geese out of season. We ended up talking to the State Patrol. They then connected us with Federal Fish and Wildlife. Since then I looked up the County DNR officers cell phone #'s on the state website and carry them. It sucks when you have something to report and can't get a hold of anyone. I glad those goofs got busted!!!!

OldSplitToe brings up a good point. Your CO may be busy at any given moment so it pays to have several numbers, other CO's, county sheriff, etc. on hand so you can get someone asap. Let's see how many poachers we can put out of business.

Old Buck

Old Buck,

Did you by chance hear of any busts in Monroe County in the first two weeks of Nov.? I am a native, hunting from some distance away. When I got to my hunting ground, I was informed by neighbors that the DNR had busted some guys from Polk County, along with one local. They were basically shotgun party hunting in Nov. I heard the DNR watched them drag a deer out and that is when they confiscated their guns and four wheelers. Does anyone else have any information about this. This is about as bad as I've ever heard of, but I have posted about problems here in the past. It's starting to get really old. And being some distance away, there's not much I can do about it. Very frustrating.

John Deere,

I share your frustration with poaching.
mad.gif
I find relief by doing what I can to fight it. For one thing whenever I hear someone complaining about poachers I encourage them to take action. Complaining doesn't do much good. Calling your CO or TIP with info does. Encourage others to do the same. Join the IBA. They are fighting poaching and protecting bowhunting. Send a contribution to TIP. Lots of poachers have buddies who will turn them in for a price.

I haven't heard about the situation you are talking about though I know about several others. I don't pass information along until I know it has been verified and that doing so won't have a negative impact. You will be hearing about more cases as time passes.

Basically the less ethical hunters and the general public tolerate poaching the sooner it will deminish. Seek ways to channel your energy into positive results.

Oh yea, Good Hunting!
grin.gif

Old Buck

Seems like every year this gets worse. It's amazing how people are so rude and unethical. I have had guys in trucks drive right down a private lane and into the fields that I was hunting in broad daylight and at night. Another problem I deal with is a few bozos in those go kart parachute things that fly all over the area all fall and spook the deer out of the fields. They drop lower and lower with every pass until the deer take off. I now keep the tip #, sherrif #, and the co's # on my cell.
One other problem that seems to be growing is the number of people that get landowner tags and do not own land. The state needs to crack down on that with a strong fist. Hunting should be an experience that is enjoyed regardless of the kill, and it seems that every year just gets more frustrating dealing with these idiots. By the way, you would be amazed how many people stop talking to you when they see that TIP sticker on your truck window. Thats good though, cause they prolly don't want to hear what I have to say.

You thinks its bad now wait for gun season, If its brown its down. Oh I must be lost isn't this Bob's ground how does someone get lost in the same area every year!!!!!!!
mad.gif
cussing.gif

Top Bottom