Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poachers caught in the act! Now what to do.

bennycrum

The last couple of years we have been having some problems with poachers taking deer off of our property illegally. We have never caught anyone red handed but have found plenty of evidence. So far this year i have had two sd cards stolen out of my cameras. I pulled my cards today and found this! I have a camera 60 yards from this one in which the card was gone today (he must not have seen this camera). These people have no permission to be on our property. Im trying to figure out what the best way to proceed with this is. I am worried that pressing charges will only result in them damaging our cabin or property as we live 20 miles from this ground.

P.S. Notice the time and date. Last saturday mid afternoon.
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=704&pictureid=7904

Last edited:
Nothing like teaching them young.. post the picture in all local gas stations with a brief history of your situation... or show it to the law.

Definitely post this picture throughout the area. Then place a few more cameras around your cabin if you are worried. If you do nothing out of fear then you will have to deal with the next generation of poachers on your land.

If you own the land, I'd be in contact with the law. That way there is documentation if something were to happen to your property. There would be a prime suspect. If you do nothing, nothing is going to change. You are going to keep losing cards, and possibly cameras. I'd recommend either putting bait cameras(cams that don't work or junk cams) out and then strategically place another camera pointing at the bait camera up in a tree. If it were me the law would be involved in this.

I am having the same problem with poachers! I just have not caught them yet, and they drive in my land making trails with there truck until I put some wood with nails in there way. :). We are building a cabin so they need to be caught fast.

Nice job on catching yours!

As of now i don't but I will by tomorrow at noon. Our ground is right outside of a town of a couple hundred. We have had major issues because many of these people have hunted this ground for years. Our neighboring landowner caught a guy on his land last year and chewed his ass. The guy told him "you may have bought the land but you didnt buy the hunting rights." The next day there were two dead does hanging over his gate (it was not even hunting season). These rednecks do not seem too concerned about us or the law.

Thats where the law enforcement comes in. Just because they are all related makes them think they can do as they please, but if I owned land and had this happen I would be notifying authorities, documenting everything, and making it known that I am no pushover. It might take a while, but it would happen. If the cabin is a worry, make sure it is insured, make sure the insurance company knows the ongoing problem.

bigbuckhunter88 said:
Thats where the law enforcement comes in. Just because they are all related makes them think they can do as they please, but if I owned land and had this happen I would be notifying authorities, documenting everything, and making it known that I am no pushover. It might take a while, but it would happen. If the cabin is a worry, make sure it is insured, make sure the insurance company knows the ongoing problem.

Best advice.

I know that face...where have I seen this guy before?

Edit: I know this is a picture of a trespasser and such but really? Does the little kid need to be in the picture? We're not worried about him so much as the Dad or whatever the relation is. IMO

Last edited:
Personally...I would find out who it is and a little about them. Then go have a face to face with them and feel them out. I'm sure that pic is not the only trespassers that are going on you're land. I understand you don't want to be a pushover but you also may avoid making enemies. Just my opinion, but calling the law is not always the answer. If they aren't fit to talk to, then get the law involved

what a low life scum sucker. Find out who he is, and tell him that he and his cronies need to stay the hell off your ground. in my experience its taken three or so confrontations (all with different groups) to finally get the word out that the new owners hunt the ground and no one else. It sucks you need to do this but apparently there are plenty of scuzz balls that don't believe in ownership of anything

The landowner calls LEO's to report trespassers, shows them the pics and possible the location of the camera. Then it is in the LEO's hands.

The trespassers have already shown disrespect by trespassing. They are not your friends, never should/will be, so no need to try to deal with them on a personal level.

Prosecute EVERY time and it will only be once, worst situation twice, as word gets out FAST that you are serious.

Teenage hunter you make a very valid point (even though the him you refer to is a girl lol) I edited the picture to exclude the childs face. I could not agree with you more. More than likely the poor thing thinks her dad/uncle has permission to hunt there. Thanks everyone for your imput.

Last edited:
I would contact law enforcement. Explain the stolen cards and poaching from the past and here is some hard evidence. If you don't do anything the problems are just going to continue. If law enforcement is from some reason not able to do anything I'd definitly post those pictures in gas stations, etc to let the people in the area know that this is what this guy does.

I would show the your local CO at least. If your dad doesn't want to press charges then at least the law will know this guy is up to no-good and will keep a better eye on him.

Who thinks we need more COs?

Mobile Cooter

This pic just breaks my heart. My immediate bleeding heart liberal thought was some poor guy just wants to teach his child to hunt. He dresses his kid in an old hand me down cammo shirt, the kid is using a gun that was his dad’s and maybe his grandpa’s. The adult knows he is trespassing he knows he shouldn’t but he wants his child to experience hunting. What does he do? Nearest public ground is 30-40 miles away. Then my conservative hard hearted thought was just another poacher training the next generation. Either way, the kid is screwed and I’m glad it is not me that has to decide what to do. Well, if there wasn’t a child involved it would be cut and dried. I’m just a sucker for kids and their dads spending time together.

Top Bottom