Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poachers caught in the act! Now what to do.

If you don't go after these idiots, you will welcome more and these guys will continue to do this garbage. If they went after your cabin, that's a felony and a very good chance they'd get caught and go to prison- then they'd really be gone from the scene. Put cameras up around your cabin as well. My OPINION is you can't do nothing out of FEAR, you have to get aggressive and stop this crap. Get the message out that you have cameras and don't tolerate poachers, you'll have the majority of good, law abiding folks on your side.

Fishbonker that was my immediate impression also. The only problem I have with this is that less than 10 miles away is brushy creek which is something like 5000 acres of the best public hunting in Iowa. The only problem with this is this would mean they would have to pay for a hunting liscence like everyone else.

Correction: Brushy creek is 6500 acres.

Last edited:
less than 10 miles away is brushy creek which is something like 5000 acres of the best public hunting in Iowa. The only problem with this is this would mean they would have to pay for a hunting license like everyone else.

Well, might as well treat private property as public so that you don't need to buy a license; poaching on a budget.

as a deputy sheriff who deals with trespassers all the time i think i can give you a bit of advise that will serve both well....as a cop we do what you want us to do,,there isnt a etched in stone law that says folks have to be charged with anything in the case of a trespass.what i have found to be the best situation is to get the picture to a cop if you can identify the guy or maybe the cop will know them...then have the cops go to the guy and confront them in front of the kid to scare the crap out of him....see if he lies first than show him the pic...sometimes when they lie it changes my desire to give them a break..but if the guy comes clean warn him that any further trespass issues will be dealt with by the letter of the law and that he shouldnt go near the prop again. lay it heavy that you have a bunch more cameras in the prop ..this way the guy dont get pinched so he wont be so apt to do anything to your property and the situation should stop..just my two cents from experience

Great advice stringleech. I have some good friends that are sheriffs in the area. This is exactly how i am going to handle it. I will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks.

as a deputy sheriff who deals with trespassers all the time i think i can give you a bit of advise that will serve both well....as a cop we do what you want us to do,,there isnt a etched in stone law that says folks have to be charged with anything in the case of a trespass.what i have found to be the best situation is to get the picture to a cop if you can identify the guy or maybe the cop will know them...then have the cops go to the guy and confront them in front of the kid to scare the crap out of him....see if he lies first than show him the pic...sometimes when they lie it changes my desire to give them a break..but if the guy comes clean warn him that any further trespass issues will be dealt with by the letter of the law and that he shouldnt go near the prop again. lay it heavy that you have a bunch more cameras in the prop ..this way the guy dont get pinched so he wont be so apt to do anything to your property and the situation should stop..just my two cents from experience

Ummm...shouldn't the theft be investigated? I'm sorry but giving a guy a break for tresspassing is one thing but the theft of the cards should be investigated and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I have some relatives in Lehigh who know just about everyone around there and (unfortunately) most of the low-lifes. If I can help by getting them a picture, let me know.

If either of u can get me a name I would appreciate it. My dad is still not doing anything about it out of fear (soooo frustrating for me because they are my cams and he doesn't even really hunt) . I have been out of town for work and also have no say because he owns the ground. Maybe a name would help get the ball rolling. Thanks

You know the guy is not to bright who would let a kid walk behind them with a gun. kid trip and it is a accident waiting to happen.

I thought the same thing. It looks to me like she is carrying a single shot (possibly a 4 10). It looks to me like she is walking with the barrel cracked. If this is the case he has enough sense to teach her to poach safely.

Ya either lay down and take it! Or show'em what you got!! I think I may have a little deal brewing on my land! I don't play well with others, and cops just piss me off!!!! :D

Last edited:
highmark, i guess i didnt think about the cards....that would be about the same as a retail theft here in wisconsin....since the cards cost under 50 bucks...all the areas can be addressed but after doing this job for 18 years the system is just gonna let him down in the long run...warning will do the trick for the trespass....he still has to admit to taking the card... the trespass and hunting are easy to prove that will be a little different...the co there might not feel to kindly to giving a break on the hunting early either so...its a horse apiece i guess

highmark, i guess i didnt think about the cards....that would be about the same as a retail theft here in wisconsin....since the cards cost under 50 bucks...all the areas can be addressed but after doing this job for 18 years the system is just gonna let him down in the long run...warning will do the trick for the trespass....he still has to admit to taking the card... the trespass and hunting are easy to prove that will be a little different...the co there might not feel to kindly to giving a break on the hunting early either so...its a horse apiece i guess

I realize that the crime doesn't justify searching this guys home for the cards or anything but maybe he would admit to it to avoid the trouble of tresspassing charges. :drink2:

I've been in Law Enforcement for 13 years. I work within the city limits so my experience with property tresspassing is limited, however, if your father decides he wants the case investigated, it should be. The burden of proof is on the part of the state but if he is identified through the cam pic then the probable cause needed for a charge is there and most likely the proof beyond a reasonable doubt for a guilty verdict is there as well. The theft will be a little harder to prove but a good interview with the suspect might just provide a confession, using the cam photo as weight.

Unfortunately, the burden falls on your father as he is the owner of the property and is the victim of the tresspass. You, on the other hand, are the victim of the theft and can request an investigation of the theft and provide the photo as evidence that he was there. You or your father will have to be willing to sign a report and testify in court if need be. The final say falls on your county attorney to determine wether or not there is enough evidence to get a conviction in court. If I were in your position I would request an investigation and follow through to try to get a conviction. I'd get the word out that I wasn't messing around.

Crockett, I hope that I don't "piss you off" simply based on my profession!:D (just having fun with ya!:way:)

Top Bottom