Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poachers Fined

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR:

Four Louisiana Men Charged with Poaching Iowa DNR

RED OAK, Iowa – Four Louisiana men face 76 counts and nearly $86,000 in fines and civil damages for allegedly killing five deer illegally in southwest Iowa last November.

James Keith Moore, 41, of Hammond, La., and Michael D. Fralick, 45, of Ponchatoula, La., were charged with 32 counts each of deer related violations in four different counties in southwest Iowa. Moore and Fralick were each fined $6,123.90. The state is also seeking $25,000 in civil damages from each man for the deer they allegedly killed illegally.

Stanley B. Russell, 46, of Roseland, La., and William H. Chambliss, 39, of Kentwood, La., were charged with six counts each of deer related violations in Montgomery County. Russell and Chambliss were each fined $1,823.40. The state is seeking $10,000 in civil damages from each man for their role in the alleged poaching activity.

The state has also requested forfeiture of four rifles the individuals used to shoot the deer.

The investigation began in late November when the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Department received a TIP call from a concerned citizen about the activities of these men. The information led authorities to possible illegal activity in Iowa. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources received a TIP call about illegal deer activity around the same time that linked the two cases together.

“These men came to Iowa specifically to road hunt trophy bucks during the rut,” said Deb Howe, state conservation officer for the Iowa DNR. “They did not have any licenses or tags to hunt in Iowa during the time they were here.”

A 10 month investigation by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Bureau, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Louisiana Department of Game & Fish, and the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks culminated in the 76 wildlife-related counts being filed against four Louisiana men. Fralick, Russell and Chambliss face similar charges in Kansas.

An initial court date will be scheduled for November.

Information received through the TIP hotline in both Iowa and Kansas was critical in this investigation. If you have information on wildlife crimes please call TIP of Iowa at 1-800-532-2020 you can remain anonymous.

Happened a few years ago down by mt ayr. People from texas and oklahoma coming during the rut and hunting without valid bow tags./... Have no idea why people think they can just keep doing this and not be caught...

This kind of stuff burns me up! I wish they would give people like that 5 years in prison and take their hunting licenses away forever.

Happened a few years ago down by mt ayr. People from texas and oklahoma coming during the rut and hunting without valid bow tags./... Have no idea why people think they can just keep doing this and not be caught...
because the lack of dnr officers makes it seem easy to get away with

Must have a lot of spare time and cash to drive all the way up from LA to drive around and shoot deer from the road. I'm ticked about that and I don't even hunt that area. I can't imagine someone coming up from as far as LA and poaching deer of the properties I hunt, I would probably have smoke coming out of my ears if that happened I'd be so pissed.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…

Sad to think how many very well might be. I agree, this is really just another expensive slap on the wrist. Why is their hunting licenses not revoked nationwide for 25-50 years?!?!?

Poaching is rampant in southwest iowa...it happens all the time. We find numerous dear ever year with the heads cut off. The worst is when they shot them and just leave them lay, I am glad they finally caught at least some of the skum bags.

THEBAD said:
Poaching is rampant in southwest iowa...it happens all the time. We find numerous dear ever year with the heads cut off. The worst is when they shot them and just leave them lay, I am glad they finally caught at least some of the skum bags.

Agreed, we're cleaning up some of our properties from poachers/baiters finally.

Top Bottom