Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poast-For grasses

Buster

I have some poast a friend gave me. Being the non farmer I am. How much poast do I use per gallon of water for grass control in my clover/chicory. Thanks for the help guys.

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
Great stuff! Where can this info be accessed for other chemicals?

[/ QUOTE ]

All I did was type "Poast application rate" into www.google.com and that link was one of the hits. Give it a try with whatever herbicide you want to find info on. You might have to read thorough a few bad links to find the good one. If you know what chemical company manufactures the product, you might add that to the query. As with any info on the net, compare data from a couple of places to gain a little more confidence on the validity.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry - check the herbicide thread at the top of this forum.

I already have most of the common and not so common herbicides listed.

You should be able to quickly find labels, rates, and sources for just about any type of herbicide.

If I'm missing something that anyone would like to see added...please let me know and I'll try to include it.

Poast and Poast Plus ((sethoxydim)vary slighty but an article in Quality Whitetails suggests using Poast (sethoxydim) at 36 oz per acre with 32 oz/acre of crop oil concentrate and 63 oz/acre of nitrogen additive for good grass control in approved legumes (alfalfas and clovers)

Poast has the same actice ingredient as Arrest and Vantage.

Select (clethodim)is a little more potent on tough grasses and easier on alfalfa but isn't approved for clovers (according to the article)The label suggests that it can only be used on clovers grown in the NW?
confused.gif

I've used 1.5 pts/acre with good results. I plan to add butyrac 200 to the mix this spring for control of broadleafs in my clover fields.

I've read the label about using a crop oil with Poast. I've heard sometimes you can use a vegetable oil or similiar. Is this true and how much. Thanks for the input.

I seen above 32 oz/ acre and 1 pint / acre mentioned above. These measurements are different. Which is correct? Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
I've read the label about using a crop oil with Poast. I've heard sometimes you can use a vegetable oil or similiar. Is this true and how much. Thanks for the input.

I seen above 32 oz/ acre and 1 pint / acre mentioned above. These measurements are different. Which is correct? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rates can vary widely but the label mentions that 2.5 pints per acre is max per application and 6.5 pints max per season (for alfalfa and clover)

General application rates vary from .5 to 1.5 pints per acre of Poast which is 18% (poast plus is 13%)

32 oz/1.7 pints approx so your under the max but a little on the heavy side.

Soil type and the use of crop oil etc. can have a lot to do with how well herbicide works, but if you have difficult grasses like brome or fescue, I would go with the heavier rates.

In short...I'm not sure there is any such thing as "correct" amount as long as you don't apply more then the maximum but at the same time use enough to get a good kill.

I haven't used vegie oil...maybe someone else can answer that question.

[ QUOTE ]
It appears that SOMETIMES you can substitute soybean or vegetable oil concentrates(?) according to this URL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good info! Best read the label carefully and then check with your wife before you run off with her vegetable oil
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oil concentrates: (Also crop oil concentrates). These are normally a mixture of non-phytotoxic oil and 10 to 20 percent surfactant. For herbicides that suggest an "oil concentrate," you can sometimes substitute soybean or vegetable oil concentrates for crop oil concentrates. However, some herbicide labels do not recommend the use of soybean oil. Consult the herbicide label before using a soybean oil

[/ QUOTE ]

JNRBRONC reminded me...crop oil will mix evenly in the sprayer tank but vegetable oil will seperate most likely do to emulsifiers

Emulsifier

A surfactant that promotes the suspension of one immiscible liquid in another.

Surfactant or Surface Agent

A material that when added to a liquid agent medium, modifies the properties of the medium at a surface or interface. This is a general term that includes soluble detergents in liquid medium, dispersing agents, emulsifying agents, foaming agents, penetrating agents and wetting agents.

Just for clarification. I use 1.5pts mixed with 15 gllns of water and spray about 1 acre. I thought that 1.5pts was 24 oz? Have I been measuring wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
Just for clarification. I use 1.5pts mixed with 15 gllns of water and spray about 1 acre. I thought that 1.5pts was 24 oz? Have I been measuring wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

No...my mistake!
blush.gif

24 =1.5 pints

32 =2.0 pints

(first mistake I ever made
wink.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry,
You can also go to this link.
Gave me Oust mixture rates and etc... I used the T&O/Non-Crop for my application (on left side of page next to American Flag)
Even gives MSDS stuff also.Herbicide Labels

Steve

Top Bottom