Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poison ivy question

Buzz

yesterday I trimmed a few shooting lanes around a couple of new trees I picked out as stand sites for this fall. each tree had some poison ivy wrapping up the trunk. I cut the main vine with my saw to kill it. How long will the oil remain potent in the vine? It will be early Nov. (2 months) before I'm climbing into these trees with a stand on my back. Will time and colder temps. make it safe to rip the rest of the vine off the tree when I place my stand?

Not sure...I have got some nasty cases in January but I believe as long as you don't have to much contact you will be fine. I come in contact with it alot but always wash my hands thoroughly and never have trouble. The palms I believe have difficulty being affected but everywhere else is game. Sweat will kill you but the colder it is the less "active" it is from what I have been told. That time of year the only place you will touch is the hands so as long as you don't "touch" other areas all should be ok.

The part of poison ivy the causes all the problems is the oil. It doesn't evaporate or just go away. This can cause you problems years (yes years) after the plant has died. If you have it on your hunting clothes from last year, you can get it this year when you drag your stuff out again. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
Also the more contact you have with it over time, the more you will react to it. I used to be able to roll in the stuff with no problem, now I break out if I see it. I really hate the stuff and don't play with it or take chances but you do what you feel comfartable with. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musky Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also the more contact you have with it over time, the more you will react to it. I used to be able to roll in the stuff with no problem, now I break out if I see it. I really hate the stuff and don't play with it or take chances but you do what you feel comfartable with. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif </div></div>

I would say you are one of the unfortunate ones, most people will have less of an reaction to it the more times they come in contact with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xpuncher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musky Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also the more contact you have with it over time, the more you will react to it. I used to be able to roll in the stuff with no problem, now I break out if I see it. I really hate the stuff and don't play with it or take chances but you do what you feel comfartable with. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif </div></div>

I would say you are one of the unfortunate ones, most people will have less of an reaction to it the more times they come in contact with it. </div></div>

I had my first case when I was around 28 years old. 25 years later it takes less and less exposure to get worse and worse reactions. If I carry fire wood that I stripped the vine off of years ago I can still get it.

So some of us would be very very careful when putting stands in ivy covered trees. If I have to put a stand in a ivy covered tree I cut the vine as close to the base as I can and very very very carefully try to srtip the vine off the tree by pulling on it. I wear a hat, glasses, a shirt with a collar or a hoddie. I button the collar up high or I put the hoodie over my head and pull the strings tight. When I'm done my clothes go in the washer, I scrub any potentialy exposed skin with Go Joe and then its shower time. My gloves stay in the garage, I do not wash them, but they are my weak link in my defense. I've tried thick rubber gloves but they still rip.

Bottom line, I woild still break out if it was me in your stand. Your results may vary.

The 'Bonker

I consider myself one of the lucky ones.I can just grab it pull it out of the way, roll in it, whatever and never get it.My wife can get it by looking at pictures of it.

totally agree with Musky Hunter.Im 33 years old and was always getting it and getting it any and everywhere.Between my fingers during shotgun season opening day they were blistered so bad when i would squeeze my gun my gloves would get wet from blisters popping.The older i get the less i get of it.And anyone can get it at anytime.I've got friends that never had it til they one day started itching.And they get it all the time now.Best bet is get rid of it carefully or have a buddy that says he never gets it take it down.

I'd say a LONG TIME.
SOLUTION- what I do is cut the vine without touching it with hand snippers or a saw. I then cut it every 3-4 feet and PULL the vine off using the hand snippers. I am sure you could pull it off with something else like a tree trimmer as well.

IF you did do this, JUST IN CASE, go buy some Ivy Block to rub on your skin BEFORE getting the vines down. then rinse with a poison ivy oil removing soap right after, if you did touch it.

Bottom line- get rid of that vine or you're in for trouble- do it now with proper tools and prevention SO you're not touching it when you have NO tools or prevention. Fun stuff!

Oh yeah...horror stories about that stuff!

Friend of mine was putting up a stand after the leaves were off...cutting and whacking a "vine" up in the tree. Sweating and hugging the tree he throws the vine remenants down to a young lad on the ground. Kid is "catching" it...falling in his face etc.....

Long story short...kid ends up in the hospital his eyes swelled shut from the PI. Out of school for weeks until it was cleared up.

Friend had it everywhere /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif he went to the Dr and got shots and I think the "Z Pak". When he came back I told him...burn everything!!!

Few days later he said...now it's coming back in my hands! I said...you did throw the gloves away too didn't you???

He went out and threw them in the burning barrel right then!

Get some Tordon RTU from TSC and spray the cut stump to keep it from coming back. Follow Skips advice for removing it and be careful!

I agree with Bonker...the more you come in contact with it (poison ivy, bee stings etc.) the more allergic most become.

I used to walk thru it, mow it etc, with no problems but even with tall rubber boots and long pants on...a hike thru the brush left me with PI between my toes the other day. Ivy Dry lessoned the agony at least... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When he came back I told him...burn everything!!!
</div></div>

I'm guessing you were referring to the clothes, but still figure I should mention the danger of inhaling smoke from burning poison ivy. It's a good way to blister your lungs. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Probably everybody knows that, but just thought I'd throw out a warning just in case.

Poison Ivy isn't my problem, it's that darn wild parsnip!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When he came back I told him...burn everything!!!
</div></div>

I'm guessing you were referring to the clothes, but still figure I should mention the danger of inhaling smoke from burning poison ivy. It's a good way to blister your lungs. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Probably everybody knows that, but just thought I'd throw out a warning just in case.

Poison Ivy isn't my problem, it's that darn wild parsnip! </div></div>

Yeah...I meant burning his clothes, gloves etc...but good point about burning the PI itself!

My wife was weeding the flower gardens the other day and ended up with PI all over her face, neck, eye and arm...and then a visit to the Doctor! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

She was researching PI a little and found this link...look at some of these folks and you'll remember to watch for those vines growing up the tree trunk when you put up your stands this fall........ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Poison Ivy Skin Rash Pics

I get the stuff bad too and never used to get it and the more your exposed the greater your reaction is. I take the time to identify it, stay away from it, and if I do come in contact with it wash my hands and exposed skin with an oil cutting soap like Dawn dishwashing soap, regular soap won't wash all the oil off.

Same with your clothes put a little bleach in with the load and it will take care of it.

I helped Coach hang stands last week and I washed up good when I got home no reaction......Bill on the other hand had a nice chew can size blotch on his neck and had to go to the doc.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif Hope he smokes one in Kansas this week.

JB

Ivy Block before exposure!

then use any soap specified for AFTER exposure to rinse ASAP!

Steroid cream OR oral steroids (prednisone) will be the big gun UNLESS it's so bad you need injectible steroids. Antibiotics do NOTHING for steroids if anyone had confusion there of course.

Old vines are still nasty AND even in winter are EVIL!

*Also, from previous contraversy:
In SHORT TERM (say one summer) the more you are exposed, each case will be less and less severe. If all the exposures were EQUAL- the 1st time you get it each year SHOULD be the worst.

In LONG TERM the more you get exposed the more likely you will be to have a reaction.

Top Bottom