Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Policing your area

hoosierhunter

So what does everyone do when you encounter law breakers in your area? I've had to deal with the DNR 5 times this year alone regarding issues on and around my properties. It's a crappy situation. If you don't report them, they continue to do it, when you report them, you have to worry about retaliation against you. Good grief I have people shooting deer out of season, hunter harassment, trespassing, property destruction.

Amazing how these people get caught and then get pissed when they get caught. It's like they expect people to turn a blind eye to their actions.

I wonder if this scenario gets created because in general most people don't intervene unless the violation occurs on their property.

I'm curious as to how everyone handles a situation that occurs on a neighboring property, but not yours.

My thought is that someone breaking the law is affecting my hunting. They are taking an opportunity away from every law abiding hunter and it should be reported.

Always a tough deal. I have no experience in this to speak of but if you don't do anything it will continue, however if you do come down on them like a ton of bricks, they are sure to seek revenge. I think for the long term you need to get your problem corrected, but like you stated, it will probably hit rock bottom before it gets better. How long and how many citations it will take is anyone's guess. Eventually they will move on to easier areas to poach if they keep getting busted in your neighborhood. Sucks! Best of luck to you.

I have not personally had to report anyone. I've seen some suspicious things but nothing that was sure enough to call in. There is only one guy I know of (and everybody else around knows of) that needs to be watched. He has a really bad reputation of trespassing.

I've been lucky to make good friends with my two primary neighbors who border me to the east and west. They help with the trespassing. I do let my neighbor trap but that's the tradeoff for his help. I did have one guy I caught twice on my place and the third time I called the Sheriff. The deputy did respond and dealt with the goof. I haven't had an issue since.

Last edited:
Press charges when possible. That's what we did. No issues yet this year. Worked hand in hand the CO in my area on some other matters and things seem to be cleaned up for us now. Back to the good ol boys doing there thing with no worries.

We've had trouble in the past with 2 guys that would do the shoot and drop one guy off and come pick him and the head up later deal. Knew who it was because nothing stays a secret in small town USA and how picture texts can be state wide in a hour. After the last headless deer showed up my brother and I picked it up and went to the high school football game in town that night and put the headless deer in the back of his SUV-a 2012 Toyota Sequoia while he and the wife and kids enjoyed the game. Dumbass shouldn't have left it unlocked. Haven't seen much of them lately. My kids go to school with his and they heard his wife was pissed. I found it kinda funny.

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

We've had trouble in the past with 2 guys that would do the shoot and drop one guy off and come pick him and the head up later deal. Knew who it was because nothing stays a secret in small town USA and how picture texts can be state wide in a hour. After the last headless deer showed up my brother and I picked it up and went to the high school football game in town that night and put the headless deer in the back of his SUV-a 2012 Toyota Sequoia while he and the wife and kids enjoyed the game. Dumbass shouldn't have left it unlocked. Haven't seen much of them lately. My kids go to school with his and they heard his wife was pissed. I found it kinda funny. Sent from my iPod touch using IW

That's pretty funny! You shoulda called the co and said you saw an un tagged carcass in the back too! I'd be afraid of the retaliation that might come as a result though. At least they know you're on to them so hopefully it will wake em up.

It's those scum bag hunters that dirty the water and give all hunters a bad name. It's too bad there are that many shady characters out there, I hope they all get busted.

Top Bottom