Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Polk County Public Land Hunters

Rod Wellbent

Just wanted to send out a plea to anybody who hunts the public land just north of Grimes on Hwy 17 on the south side of the river. I arrowed a decent 10 pointer last Sunday on the West side of 17. I trailed this deer West for about 2-3 miles and last blood was on the west ridge of the first real big creek/cove west of the highway. I really just want to know if the deer died, so if anybody runs across him during shotgun or the rest of the hunting season, please let me know. He's in that 130-140 range with a crab claw making up the 10th point on his left beam. He's out to his ears and has good mass.

I'm sure he's dead as I had good blood for the entire tracking job and several spots of pink bubbly blood and the rest dark red blood. I'm sure I got a lung and some liver, but he's evidently pretty healthy as he went up and down some very high ridges.

This is the first buck I've wounded with an arrow and it's eating me up a little bit. I'd like to think I did all I could do to recover him, but the rains last week, killed any chance of picking up his trail again.

I appreciate any info I can get.. I know a lot of guys on here hunt the area..

Thanks..

I used to hunt that area all the time. Haven't been there this year but will keep that in mind. Good luck finding him.

Rod, I feel your pain!

I shot a buck on some Public down in Southern Iowa about 3 years ago after a track job nearly took him into Missouri we gave up all hope! that year he was found by a friend of mine 2 1/2 miles from where I shot him when he shotgun hunting...What was really weird some one had cut into his skull about a quarter of the way to try and take the rack but I guess gave up...He was a 10 that we measured at 133 inches. Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom