Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poof.....and they're gone

jasondodd

Just had to vent, after yesterday....probably the most deer I've ever seen in one day......not a single thing today but a possum!

Anybody see a slowdown with the warm up today? They were running like crazy the last three days. How depressing!

i dont think the full moon last night and the warmer weather today helped the movement.... dont give up with as much rut actived going on theyll be out the next 2 weeks will be very interesting so dont let today bother you....

No kidding. Friday and Saturday yielded 11 hours in the stand...total deer sighted were 2 does kicked up by another hunter on adjoining property.

Full moon and warm weather have to be messing things up a little.

hunting sucks right now. not much else to say. There are those pockets that people are having luck. I have seen about 12 does the not a single buck around them.

Spent 12 hours in the stand on friday and saw 1 forkie (I passed on him) and 1 doe. Gonna hit it hard this week..

Funny story.....since hunting was sucking, went out to move a stand into a better position.......nice 8 pt watched the whole time and watched 3 does graze 150 yards away. Never fails!!

Got a 140 inch 8 pointer in N. Iowa last night and excellent buck movement the last three days in N. Iowa. Mornings were better in terms of number of deer seen, but the deer I shot was hot on a does during the evening.

Deer responded well to grunts and horns as well.

Good Luck

One word: Move (if you can).

Okay, so much for one word.

I spent this morning at one of my properties, things were crazy. Decided to spend the afternoon at another location 15 miles away, so dead even the buzzards weren't circling.

Pretty much the same story here. Thursday and Friday were going gangbusters, passed on 3 nice bucks (two of them twice). Saturday, saw the same nice buck at daybreak then squat. Today, mostly squat except one decent 8pt about 115"-120".
Had to run to town about 2pm and nearly gagged when I saw a 170"+ buck standing 100 yards off the highway.
shocked.gif
I nearly put my poor black lab through the rear window!
You just never know...

Frdiay I saw 31 deer, saturday 17 sunday 29. The biggest being a 170-175 12pt that was bedded he was just out of my comfort zone by a couple yards.........183.
grin.gif

Thursday I saw all kinds of deer movement and after that it was really slow. Warm weather and the full moon didn't help I don't think.
confused.gif

Friday Morning- 5 bucks, 8 does
Friday Afternoon- 3 bucks, 4 does
Sat. Morning- 1 buck, 0 does
Sunday Morning- 11 bucks by 10:30 am, and lots of does
Sunday afternoon- 2 bucks, couple does

Mornings have definitely been more active than the afternoons. Nothing over 140 in. within shooting range, although I have seen a couple of bruisers doggin does out of range. Rattled in 6 bucks Sunday Morning, one would have been a 150 inch 10 pt., but half of his right main beam was snapped off. Took the day off tomorrow to hunt all day, but it looks like its going to be warm most of the week. Weekend is supposed to cool off.

Sat.0-bucks 5- does
Sun.0-bucks 4-does
The guy next door to the property I hunt has converted his timber to a off road track for his kids 4-wheelers and dirt bikes.They live in Des Moines and come down for the weekends.The last tow weekends they have been down and sounded like the arenacross out Wells Fargo this weekend,which hasn't helped my deer movement.The farm across the road that has a great funel that I love to hunt this time of year is off limits know because when I seen the farmer he was fixing four fences that have been cut and the cattle got out,so he dosent want anybody in there till he gets the problem fixed.I'am off the rest of the week and hope the deer get back to moving during the day with the 4-wheelers gone and being cold and raining this weekend will keep the 4-wheelers at home.When I walked out last night my friend said that Sunday afternoon a nice buck was in the road in front of his house so I think most of the deer moved to the east side of his land to avoid the noise.

Saturday morning - 1 buck chasing a doe. about 150". Shot down hill and mis-judged the distance. Shot right below him.
Sunday morning - Biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild, cruising through at about 60 yards. He didn't want anything to do with my grunting or The Can. Easily over 180 inches.
Sunday evening - One decebt buck cruising through at about 60 yards. Not responding to any grunting or The Can. Would go about 140".

Definately more movement in the mornings than evenings. It's starting to heat up. This week is gonna be awesome!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild, cruising through at about 60 yards. He didn't want anything to do with my grunting or The Can. Easily over 180 inches.
Sunday evening - One decent buck cruising through at about 60 yards

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey 180class... It sounds like you need to move your stand about 60 yards or so!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Just joshing you, good luck on the big boy!

They were both about 60 yards away, but on oposite sides of my stand. Which way should I move my stand?
grin.gif

I was asking myself this question all weekend!

Talked to some other guys hunting, they said the same thing, not a singel deer this morning. I would have to guess that with the full moon you need to be in the stand right now from about 10:00 until dark to catch a big boy back up on his feet after the all night feeding.

I saw 6 bucks and 1 doe this morning. I rattled in a couple of the bucks and they came in running. I had one walk by at 13 yards and one at 6 yards. To bad neither were shooters.

Looks like it's back on here in Central Iowa now too, I saw 10 different deer between this morning and this evening. Had one nice (130+) buck chasing a doe back and forth in front of my stand this morning. Did everything short of jumping on his back to get him to stop.....but he had one thing on his mind!!

Good luck everyone!!

Top Bottom