Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pop up blinds?

R

RIFLEMANZ

I'm looking to buy a pop up blind to bowhunt deer with.Does anyone hunt out of one? I need to know the pros and cons of these.I'm wondering if the deer get spooked by these.I like the idea of 10secs to set-up.Let me know if you have taken a deer from one of these.Thanks
shocked.gif

i have a ameristep pop up doughouse blind that i bought last spring for turkey hunting . i shot 1 of my birds out of it. but haven't used it yet for deer, but i am going to. it worked great on turkey. it weigh's 10 lbs.

I have 2 Ameristeps. The doghouse for if I'm hunting alone with a gun and the Penthouse for taking a friend or son along and shooting a bow from. I've had the doghouse for 3 years and have taken 1 deer and 2 turkeys from it. I just got the Penthouse last year and bowshot a buck from it last season. I set them up next to trees or round bales and they seem to blend in good. If you are going to leave them up for awhile it's a good idea to use the extra stakes and rope they send to tie them down good. I also use a small catalitic propane heater in them when it's cold. It will keep you toasty for an all day hunt. I video taped over 100 deer last year walking by in bow range of the Penthouse. They would look at it but didn't show any concern. Good luck and have fun. Jay

For bow do you shoot through the mesh or leave the windows open? If you shoot through the open window (mesh down) do you open the window when you get in the blind or only if you see deer approaching?

The 'Bonker

Usually, shoot through the mesh only with shotgun for turkeys. For deer, I open the window. Deer/turkey have never seen me move in there because it is so dark. There are many different models.

The more "square" blind has windows with no mesh window.

The A frame model has large window mesh netting and windows. They are lightweight, but sturdy so they don't flap in the wind.

They work well with kids who move around a lot. I know a guy who takes his kids hunting and he has killed gobblers while the kid was drawing with crayons.

I have a double bull blind. I love it. It works great for turkys but for the deer you need to brush it in as you would with any blind. I have seen pictures of a nice buck taken out of a blind like mine that he had brushed in. As far as set up it really is pretty fast once you figure it out. Buy one from a shop and have them show you the tricks to a fast set up!!

I've never used one of these blinds, but am considering trying one this fall. My son will be bowhunting for the first time, and I thought about letting him use it sometimes instead of one of the treestands. I have noticed that Ameristep has an inexpensive model called the Outhouse, and I was wondering what the pros and cons of it would be. I don't want to put big dollars into an experiment. Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions from those who have used blinds.

I'm with chilkoot charlie, the double bull is the best I've used. I have the A frame model and it does go up as quickly as the video. The material is tight and doesn't make noise in the wind. The material is also water resistant cloth so it has a matt finish. The Ameristep is somewhat glossy. I have yet to see another blind that's as nice.

I shot a deer through the mesh last year at 33 yards(longer than I should have shot), the arrow was right on the money.

chilkoot charlie, how long have you been shooting a shotgun through the screen? I know someone who did that very same thing and the screen started on fire.

I have several of the Double Bull blinds - I have had turkey within 2 ft of it and drawn on them with no problem. Had deer within 10 yds numberous times. Have had Nilgai, Wildebeasts, Bobcats, coyotes and other game really close as well. I have never used the mesh on the windows even though I have some. I shot a buck and a doe out of it two years ago in Kansas. I could have shot a number of other animals out of it as well. I recommend brushing them in as best you can - it helps. They aren't cheap, but they are the best. Mine goes up in about a minute or sometimes less (G5 model). I always get the zipper top so I can get more light in and stand up and look out the top occasionally too.
smile.gif

Jerry

I've got two Double Bull blinds (GH500 & T5), one has Predator's Deception camo...the other has Skyline's Apparition. I've used both the past several years for spring turkey hunting here in Iowa and I've had so many deer blow when they see my blind I've lost count. My bowhunting buddy and I also use them down in Arizona for mule deer and coues deer,hunting over water holes. The first year we used them down there we brushed them in with limbs and weeds...every deer that came in busted us...even the cows would walk up and try and look through the windows! Well, last year we bought some 3D netting at a Army surplus store to throw over the whole blind (12'x12') and a couple packages of Sneaky Leaf (synthetic leaves) and pinned them all over the netting. We hunted 13 days and never got busted once...plus we filled our tags
cool.gif
. If you're able to leave your blind up for a extended period of time(not many hunters can do that) you may not need to brush it in too much....but, if you plan to just pop it up and hunt the same day for whitetails here in Iowa, you better use the netting in the ports you plan to shoot out of...and you better find some way to brush it in and break up the outline of the blind. The shoot-thru netting will help break up the outline of each port...and a mature whitetail will notice them if you don't. The netting will not affect the flight of your arrow...I use DB's netting and have taken several animals over 30 yards with arrows tipped with Thunderheads.

Good Luck
TB

BY NOW MOST OF YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE AN OPINION ON EVERYTHIG----WELL HERES MY STORY ON BLINDS. I CURRENTLY OWN AMERISTEP DOG HOUSE AND PENTHOUSE, GAME TRACKER POP-UP AND CARBON CABIN, DOUBLE BULL T5 ECONOMY,AND TWO OTHER REMOVABLE TOP BLINDS. YEA PEOPLE HAVE CALLED ME THE BLIND GUY, BUT THEY WORK. IN THE 2000 BOW SEASON VACATION I THREW MY BACK OUT, FOUR MORNINGS OF ULTRASOUND AND THERAPY AND 4 EVENINGS OF HUNTING I RATTLED A 150 PLUS NET TYP. TO 20 YARDS, PROPPED THE BOW BETWEEN MY KNEES TO DRAW IN PAIN AND TEARS AND MADE A GREAT SHOT. WITHOUT THE BLIND THIS WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED. LUCKILY, AFTER CRAWLING OUT OF THE BLIND TO THE TRUCK, HELP WAS A CELL CALL AWAY.
ANYWAY, THAT WAS THE DOG HOUSE. AS FAR AS THE OUTHOUSE STAY AWAY FROM THIS BLIND----ALSO STAY AWAY FROM ANY BLIND THAT WILL BLOW IN THE BREEZE.I HAD A WRITTER IN FROM NEW YORK IN 2000-HE BLEW 2----140-160 BUCKS DUE TO LIGHT BREEZES WITH A REMOVEABLE TOP BLIND.
THE DOUBLE BULL IS THE BEST YOU CAN BY. ALL THE FEATURES HELP HUNTERS. GET SHOOT THRU WINDOWS AND USE THEM FOR DEER,
YOU WANT BLACK INTERIOR,HELPS CUT DOWN ON SHADOWS.
HUNTERS VIEW IS MAKING A POP UP BLIND CALLED THE WIGWAM. THE CAMO PATTERN IS DARK AND REALLY CUTS DOWN ON SHADOWS....BUT HERES THE KICKER IT ONLY COST ABOUT 80 BUCKS OR LESS AND IS COTTON, SO TEARS CAN BE EASILLY PATCHED--AND YES IM GOING TO HAVE ONE THIS FALL TO LEAVE OUT IN THE WOODS FOR THE SEASON TO SEE HOW IT HOLDS UP.
LAST SPRING I SPENT DAYS IN BLINDS, SO THIS INFO REALLY IS NOT BOGUS,BELEIVE THE BLIND GUY.........M350 OUT

I have the Double Bull pop up. Takes me a lot a heck of a lot longer to pop it open than the guy in their video. Deer will definitely shy away from your blind if it does not blend in well or if it has not been sitting there long enough for them to accept as not being a source of danger. I set my blind up on the edge of a grass field for turkey hunting and had deer react negatively to seeing the blind from a distance of close to 200 yards.

M350,

I don't see the Wigwam on Hunter's View's web site. Is it new? Do you know where I can see more info about it?

The wigwam is on sale at Dunhams sports for $79.99
6'tall 5'square
This looks pretty nice for the price.

ARROWSMITH, IF I KNEW EXACTLY WHER YOU ARE IN MN I MAY BE ABLE TO DIRECT YOU TO THE NEAREST SOURCE. I KNOW WE SELL TO SCHEELS AS WELL AS ABOUT 150 OTHER ACCTS IN MN.TRY SCHEELS FIRST OR GO ON LINE AT CAMOHUNTER.COM, SHE ALSO BUYS AND SELLS THIS BLIND. HOPE THIS HELPED. M350 OUT

This wigwam blind is not on dunhams web page.Its only available at their stores.Their web site stinks!

M350, is the Carbon Cabin one of those that blows...in the wind...If it's a poor choice I really don't want to know because I just bought one and it's my first blind...Does staking them out really well control some of the movement in the wind? I'm thinking of putting mine in plum thickets for wind shelter and to help brush it in...Thanks

Think the sale was over at Dunhams today.I was in the one in Spencer last night and bought the hunters view teepee for 59$ to see if i liked it or not.If I find I like hunting out of them I plan to get a better one next year.But they told me today was the last day of the sale

Top Bottom