Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ported Choke Tubes

IowaDave

PMA Member
I was reading some articles on choke tubes and some are ported & some aren't.
I'm not a 'gun nut', (and I'm probably not going to buy a new choke tube anyway, because my full choke seems to work just fine), but I was curious- what does porting a choke do for it? Maybe an elementary question, but don't know the answer was just curious.

it serves 2 purposes.
1. It helps to strip the wad and shot cup away from the shot as it exits the barrel allowing for a more consistent and uniform shot string.

2. It redirects gases as they leave the gun allowing for a little less recoil. That one is has been debated by alot of people, but it certainly works on centerfire rifles so the same principle should hold true for shotguns.

If you are in the market, I would highly recommend Pure Gold, or Indian Creek. They offer a variety of constrictions for different guns. And produce amazing results.

Summary: Unless you are going to be patterning your gun with different loads and chokes and you are fanatic about patterning I wouldn't worry about it to much :way:

Top Bottom