Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Post election gun ban alert

nannyslayer said:
Not being a smart ace here scooonie, but lets look at it this way. I really do believe that they should make cocaine illegal in the U.S. to keep it out of the hands of the criminals. Maybe if they made it illegal, it would detour one criminal, and if anyone ever got sent to jail for it, we could to what you proposed before.

Now what are you going for here, I don't get what you mean? Are you saying if guns were pretty much outlawed in the U.S. that they would still be around like drugs are? If so something that causes addiction and dependence would be way off from outlawing material possessions. And I'm definitely not asking for total outlaw of any fire-arms for god sake I'm just saying any laws that might be passed that could even drop the % of guns crimes some that would not mess with out 2nd amendment would be ideal!

I might be way off from your statement if so clue me in...

I guess what I am saying is, how are you going to regulate something that somebody that is going to commit a crime is going to get ahold of? Look at Austraila, they outlawed all guns, had burning and chopping of guns, and gun crimes went up 125% the first year. I will find the source for you in just a second.

Just curious on what type of regulations that you have in mind that would drop the gun crimes down? There has been several put in place such as the 3 day grace period, magazine capacity regulations, background checks....... still hasn't detoured much. Just curious on your personal thoughts on how to drop gun crimes. I'm not jumping you, just debating.

Scoonie, I know you mean well, but I can hear the Nazi jack boots marching down the cobble stones now. There is a thing called "Posse Commitatis" that prevents the military from engaging in domestic law enforcement. Although I believe this theory has been tested in the past few months/years after national disasters, but to use the military in a law enforcement roll would be asking a combat trained soldier to not function within his training.

Even though using the military to search felons’ homes wouldn’t affect the average Joe, we just can’t give up our freedoms. Call me paranoid, but we lose our freedoms one small slice at a time until they they are all gone.

Nanny, I know what you mean, but how do we stop the "pushers" from getting the meth or guns? If a person buys a gun legally, then turns around and sells it illegally and does it over and over and over again and never gets caught, how do you stop that? There has been legislation proposed that would limit gun purchases to "X" number of guns per year, but I don't think that would slow it down much because the "pusher" could find a surrogate to buy the guns legally and continue on.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntin' Fool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are a non res of Iowa, can one carry a concealed weapon in Iowa with a permit from the non res state? </div></div>

As already said, the answer is no which is unfortunate. There are 13 states with reciprocity for Iowa CCW permits yet we allow none.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

how do we stop the "pushers" from getting the meth or guns? If a person buys a gun legally, then turns around and sells it illegally and does it over and over and over again and never gets caught, how do you stop that?
The 'Bonker </div></div>

You figure that one out Tom, and I'll be your vice president.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what I am saying is, how are you going to regulate something that somebody that is going to commit a crime is going to get ahold of? Look at Austraila, they outlawed all guns, had burning and chopping of guns, and gun crimes went up 125% the first year. I will find the source for you in just a second.

Just curious on what type of regulations that you have in mind that would drop the gun crimes down? There has been several put in place such as the 3 day grace period, magazine capacity regulations, background checks....... still hasn't detoured much. Just curious on your personal thoughts on how to drop gun crimes. I'm not jumping you, just debating. </div></div>

I'm not saying that I have the regulations in mind but if they were to come up with something that would drop gun crimes and keep the honest gun owners from losing their guns rights I'm all for it! Now the question is how exactly would that be done....I'd be willing to listen but definitely harder said then done....

Now with Australia, I'd like to see the number 5-10 years after the gun ban. There would be quite a few less guns on the streets after 10 years of taking them away I'm sure...Really total ban of all guns over a long period of time would prolly be the only thing that would be really effective...But since that will not happen around here anytime soon there will still be gun crimes. And if the U.S. does do something like Australia I couldn't see there being anything less then a civil war...I think even if the U.S. went to something like keeping guns only at gun clubs there would still be major problems with taking away our 2nd amendment no doubt. I'm just saying if they come up with a way to keep guns out of criminals hands and it's a little inconvenient for you and I but I still get to keep my guns I'm down for that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Source for Australia

Crime rate since 1996 </div></div>

Well there goes my 5-10 year theory...That blows my mind! I for one didn't even know that Austrailia had such a law, thanks for the article Nanny...

I agree with what you are saying, if there is something that could be done to drop gun crimes, and be a small inconvience for me, I'd go with it. Only problem is, from past laws, it has only made it harder for everyday Americans (excluding hunters) to obtain a firearm. If there is a fix for all, I hope they come up with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooonie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm not saying that I have the regulations in mind but if they were to come up with something that would drop gun crimes and keep the honest gun owners from losing their guns rights I'm all for it! Now the question is how exactly would that be done...</div></div>

The antis will say the answer to the riddle is mandatory registration. Same tactic that was used in Australia, the UK and a large handful of other countries. Unfortunately, it inherently leads to an eventual confiscation. Ask those who have been through it rather than trust me. This is the phase we are in right now. Both Obama and Clinton have expressed their desire for registration.

If the majority of gun deaths are from 14-24 year olds. Maybe education would be a good starting point. Not sure if these are criminal type deaths or if they are the kid found his dads gun was messing around with it and shot his friend or sibling.
If they actually know what it is capable of and know how to use it might help.

I see alot of you younger hunters watch tv. Be careful what you hope for. Food for thought. Not true but what if you found out that the archery industry was being funded by the anti-gun groups? Would you take a stand or say they aren't after me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the majority of gun deaths are from 14-24 year olds. Maybe education would be a good starting point. Not sure if these are criminal type deaths or if they are the kid found his dads gun was messing around with it and shot his friend or sibling.
If they actually know what it is capable of and know how to use it might help. </div></div>

Good point, but if you look at the graph on the bottom of the linked page sibbling deaths it looks to me like the rate goes up around 15 years of age when it is sibling on sibling violence. It isn't split out into accidental vs homicide nor method/weapon used. I think the vertical axis is average/year, but I'm not sure. Even though it isn't weapon specific it looks like it spikes at 15.

The 'Bonker

Parents.....

Spank your kids.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

So, Looks like I need to be really nice to my boys in the next few years. Wonder what percentage of the parents killed were abusing the child or children one way or another?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parents.....

Spank your kids.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Best post on here yet. I agree 100%.

I think without a doubt most avid hunters would be ecstatic if simple registration would actually be a large step in reducing crime.I'll help them out myself if they could prove to me it will do anything.
No criminal I've ever heard of used a gun registered to himself.Maybe the occasional husband witha cheating wife,for instance but not the common everyday crimes committed using a weapon.
The only thing registration will do is creat more Gov. involvement and although I'd like that to be a positive,it isn't and never will be.(see bailout pkgs)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parents.....

Spank your kids.....

Do you hit your dog too? There's a difference between discipline and simply spanking your kids. Not that I'm against spanking, and I don't believe for a second that the government should be able to intervene and outlaw it - as some states have proposed - just that I think a lot of people vent their anger when they hit their kids, and don't use "spanking" appropriately... like I said above, do you hit your dog when it does something you don't like? or do you choose to reinforce positive behaviors instead?

Avid......
whaat.gif

you just reminded me why i use the ignore button with you....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Dismount!!!!

blahblah.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avidhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parents.....

Spank your kids.....

Do you hit your dog too? There's a difference between discipline and simply spanking your kids. Not that I'm against spanking, and I don't believe for a second that the government should be able to intervene and outlaw it - as some states have proposed - just that I think a lot of people vent their anger when they hit their kids, and don't use "spanking" appropriately... like I said above, do you hit your dog when it does something you don't like? or do you choose to reinforce positive behaviors instead? </div></div>

And a lot of people don't vent their anger when spanking them and get in trouble for bogus claims also. Firm discipline such as spanking never hurt anybody.

Lets just hold all people including kids, dogs, politicians, etc. accountable for their actions instead of making excuses for them.

Man are we off topic or what. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Top Bottom