Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Post season depression

LYON

PMA Member
As the seasons dwindle down and the excitement of hunting almost continuously since october comes to a halt, how do you combat the post season blues? It's not long until we get to be out trudging for sheds but in the 1-2 months (depending on what season(s) you hunt) between hunting and shedding, what do you do to curb your outdoor appetite?

Rabbit hunting, yote hunting. But not on my farms that I shed hunt. Also going on a unlimited snow goose hunt in South Dakota in March with the BAB staff.

Last edited:
Coyote Hunting, Also try to shoot my guns and Bow as much as possible...And don't forget about fishing spring through fall....

I'm going to blast some shed bucks with my .270!!!!

J/K...Coyotes are going down starting this weekend through February, then shed hunting/spring scouting in March up to turkey season. After turkey season is when I really get antsy for deer season to get here. I'll be blasting coyotes all summer this year though.

Shoot in a lot of 3d events over the summer to keep your form up.

Whatever the wife wants me to do. Usually involving stuff around the house.

But seriously, gonna try to get out for a couple coyote hunts again this year. I've been out of the stand since late November without a deer, so really wanting to put something on the ground.

I was just discussing this with my friends the other day- there Is actually something going on all year long to keep occupied and staying outdoors

Jan- Ice fishing, muzzleloader deer, yotes, rabbit
Feb-Shed HUntin, ice fishing
March- Shed hunting, Fishing
APril- Spawn fishing, beginning of morel mushroom hunting, GOLF
May- morel hunting, fishing, GOLF
June, July, Aug- Farm pong fishing, GOLF, set out trail cameras
SEPT- GOLF, cut shooting lanes, new tree stands, checking trail cameras, practice more with BOW, football!!
OCT- well---you all know
NOV- well----you all know
DEC- Well------yup
And repeat

I have about a month and a half, depending on the weather, I don't do much on my land because I don't want to push the deer around that are seeking refuge from winter on my land. But late Feb and March, I am busy, clearing out all the rose and briars that have choked all my deer trails across my land. I explore bedding and scrape and rub areas, I have not ventured into since last spring. I have some brush and string barriers that guide the deer near me I need to renew. Then I attack the Locust and Shingle oaks that keep invading my open fields,,Soon it's time to work up Spring food plots, prune fruit trees,,man,,the work never ends!

After season like to focus on rabbit hunting with a little late jan. trapping mixed in. Then I focus on shed hunting. Then come spring chasing the gobblers and picking morels. Then spend the summer fishing and running trail cams

Two words...Chain Saw! :D

I look as much forward to habitat improvement nowadays as the actual hunting. But quail season is still open for a weeks yet too!

I have until the end of January to try and fill my 2014 archery tag for the early season. Hoping to get out one more time before then. Elk shed season starts up in early March and I'm hoping that will keep me busy. Then there is our turkey seasons from mid-April through early May (volunteering for the youth hunt, taking my daughter on her first hunt, going on my own hunt). By then, I'll know if my daughter and I have elk tags. If so, that means plenty of time at the archery range for me and the rifle range for her! In the meantime, I will be training like a fiend to get back in shape for our upcoming wildfire season. So far, our winter indicates a hot dry summer that will have lots of green stuff burning.

Coyote hunting until it stops snowing then shed hunting and hopefully gonna try Turkey hunting for the first time in 2014

NCAA B-Ball (Go Clones!), make jerkey, shedding, preventative maintenence on hunting gear and watch the snow melt till the sport bike can hit the pavement!

Jan-Feb: Coyote hunting, shoot bows
Feb-April: Shed Hunting
April-September: Bowfishing and Bow season preparations

Jan - Swim, Shed Hunt, Trail Cams, Start Running, School, scouting
Feb - Swim, Run, Shed Hunt, School, Trail Cams
March - Swim, Run a ton, shed hunt a ton, school, finish up trail cams, scouting
April - RUNNING, Swim, Shed Hunt, School, some Turkey Hunting, Random FFA stuff
May - Lots of Running, Lots of Swimming, End of shed hunting, End of school
June - Getting all my fair junk ready, SWIMMING, RUNNING, running trail cams again.
July - County fairs 4-H/FFA, Swimming, Running, stand work, trail cams, scoutimg
August - 80 miles a week of running, end of swimming, stand work, trail cams, state fair, scouting, school
September - Start to bring youth out hunting, running 80+ miles a week, little to do with trail cams, no stand work, scouting, school
October - Start swimming, Running lots of it, Hunting, a little stand work, little to do with trail cams, scouting, school
November - Swimming like a mad man, Running like a mad man, Hunting, Scouting, School
December - Hunting, Swimming, School

Repeat...

But I'm planning to do a little elk/Mule deer hunting in the 2014 year :)

Last edited:
Catfish all summer long
Turkey hunt spring
Deer in fall
Try to grow a little corn and soybeans ;)

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I took Friday off for one last day afield. If it's a perfect day, I'll fill my late ML tag and shoot a couple of pheasants as well. After that, it's time to focus on kids' music and church activities, followed by the last half of basketball season, and of course, the all important baseball and softball off season workouts. Summer means me coaching and kids playing games pretty much every night of the week except Sunday. Family and faith are definitely on top of the priority list for me, but variety is indeed the spice of life :D

NWBuck

Coyote hunt, ice fishing, shed hunt, ice fishing, turkey hunt, crappie fishing, cat fishing, bass fishing, float down the Little Sioux. After all that, it's bow season again.

No one else bowfishes to get through the summer? Keeps your stabilizer muscles in shape and its a heck of a time

Top Bottom