Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Post Season Scouting

kmehlin

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what to look for to have better succes next year. What exactly does a shed tell me? Will the deer use the same trails next year? I would love to gain some more insight to these and any other fyi's that you have.

Kurt

A shed tells you a buck is in the area for the winter and if you can get an eye on him you might be able to find where he moves to in the spring/summer.

I just look for straight up deer sign. Beds, rubs, scrapes, heavy trails, etc. Finding them in areas that are easily accessible and hunted are a bonus.

The woods is laid open like a grade school book once that snow melts, or a few days after a fresh snow. Get out there and read it!

well put Mud

Late season scouting is a great time to get a solid visual of the bed to feed pattern the deer are on. this pattern, may slightly adjust during the summer, but generally it will remain the same till the rut.

an obvious sign from a shed..... it lets you know who survived and if you find lots of sheds, it will get you general buck inventory.

Great time of year to do your homework!

Top Bottom