Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

powder or pellets?

jimfaststeel

I could use some help on deciding between these two. Planning on using the Barne's bullets and the triple seven powder through my new Knight disc. What's the pros and cons from the powder or pellets. Any advice would be helpfull.
Thanks!

You can probably fine tune easier with loose powder but I've have always found very acceptable groups on the range with pellets. If you ever have to load with cold fingers- pellets are nice as if you drop one you know how much isn't there, if you spill a little loose stuff from a premeasured vial, you just start over.

Pellets. Loose powder is a pain. I have to use it in my TK2000 shotgun and I'm contemplating the 209 conversion kit so I can use the same pellets I do in my disc rifle.

NWBuck

NWbuck- I bought a tk2000 and know I can't use pellets...from what you said can I use pellets if I get a 209 conversion kit? How do like your tk2000? I hear it knocks em down!!!!!

Pellets, There a hell of alot easier to deal with. I hear that the triple 7 is a little hotter than the pyrodex. Couple of buddies switched over this year and said that there patterns were higher and had to adjust there scopes. The triple seven is also alot cleaner.

157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

QDMer,

Yes...there is a conversion kit available to change from shooting caps to 209's. I think I saw it on Knight's website at one time and have seen it commercially in several catalogs. I believe the newer TK2000's come with it standard now.

I love the gun. I've shot my last 2 toms with it and will be carrying it again this spring. It has really put 'em down hard (no flop at all), but then again, both birds were shot at less than 15 yards
waytogo.gif

The combination that patterns best in mine is 120 grains of loose pyrodex with #5 Red Hot shot. I don't think a guy would want to spend all day target shooting with this gun though
evil.gif

NWBuck

P.S. Well...I may have made a liar out of myself. After I originally posted this I did some searching on the web and couldn't find the conversion kit anywhere. I know it USED to be available, but now it looks like all the new guns have the full plastic jacket ignition for the 209. I suppose they've discontinued the conversion kit from caps to 209 in an effort to get us to buy a new gun
smile.gif
If you come across it let me know.

I guess I'm the odd one on this subject, but I prefer the powder. It's a lot cheaper per shot, so it depends on how much you will be shooting it. I just pre-measure the loads, and put them in those clear film containers. It's easy to grab one for a quick reload, and then I just bite the snap top loose, and pour it in. I've gotten pretty good at reloading in awkward situations. Just my preference, and the deer aren't going to know the difference

I shoot powder also, I tried the pellets and wasn't satisfied with my groups. Changed to clean shot powder and it now drives tacks.

NWBuck I ordered the new TK2000 yesterday and yes it does come 209 standard. I don't think you or I can shoot pellets out of our TK's because of the barrel diameter inside. Drop a pellet down a 12 gauge barrel and it seems like a whole lot of additional air would be trapped between the wad and breech plug. To be honest I don't know if that would effect anything or not
shrug[1].gif
. Just my 2cents.

Another consideration is where you will be hunting. I just got a TC Omega for MN deer season but i am also thinking of going out to Colorado for thier early Black Powder season to chase some bulls. In Colorado you can not shoot pellets and can not shoot a sabot. I have decided to shoot powder with powerbelts so once i find a combination that works i won't have to change for elk hunting.

I've talked to some people that have done some testing with the powre belts. From what they say you might want to do some penatration tests at 100-150+ yards with your laod before taking it elk hunting.

I too shoot powder. Its cheaper and you can play with your loads at lot easier. A lot of guys say the pellets are faster, but I can load just as fast with my speedloaders

This year I switched to 777 and this stuff is great. I had to re-sight my scope and up my charge a little to get good groups. 100 grains of 777 and a 245 grain bullet was deadly all season. A breeze to clean. And my wifes favorite .... No Rotten Egg Smell
applause.gif

mole

If you want easy and accurate you need to check out what Hornady introduced at the Shot Show this year. They call it LNL Speed Sabot. The sabot has a tail that will hold either 2 or 3 pellets. It comes in a pocket pack with either their 250 or 300 gr SST. Pop the packet open and drop (1) item down the bore. Not only that but they have done something to it to make it as easy as a Powder Belt to load. Some guys are shooting under 1" groups @ 100. I have shot some and darn they are nice.

Never use pellets, don't really want to try them either. With all of the advances in black powders, pouring loose powder in is more traditional to me. Loose powder shoots good, and I know it's lethal, so why switch!

jason

I would recommend patterning both through your gun. I shot Barnes bullets through mine and they were not the most accurate. Pellets seem to be a little easier to load during hunting situations. Go with what shoots the best.

While we are on the subject, what bullet would you guys suggest for Colorado that doesn't allow sabots? We are considering a Muley hunt this fall with the smoke stick.
I have a 45 Disc Knight but have considered getting a 50 or 52 also. I am still undecided on bullet selection but it sounds like 777 loose is the way to go for CO (they don't allow pellets either!)

Gunrunr,
I have shot the PowerBelt HollowPoint Copper Bullets (make in lead also) the past two seasons and have had excellant expansion and accuracy out to 200 yards with them. I believe they make them in 45, 50, and 54 caliber. I shot one doe with an Aerotip(filled tip) type design and the bullet could have been stuffed back down my barrel to reuse, very little to no expansion what so ever.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up using and how pleased you were with it.

For the guys that I went elk hunting with in CO they all shot the power belt bullets also. I tried them out of my gun, but my XTP sabot patterned better. I have not taken my musket out of state.

Top Bottom