Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Prairie Dog Hunt?

Who'd wanna shoot those cute little guys?

Me! I've probably shot close to 10,000 of the little varmints. Lots of great years shooting prairie dogs back in the '80s when ammo was much cheaper, access was easier and a license cost $2!

From everything I've heard when I was out in eastern Montana if you find a large cattle rancher they will let you shoot them for free. Some have problems with cattle coming up lame from their holes.

Who'd wanna shoot those cute little guys?

It is a absolute blast. Shot them in 3 different states.
picture.php

Always wanted to do a dog hunt.. Have yet to pursue one, but will someday. But from what I hear it's a riot! And good practice behind the trigger!

What setups do you guys shoot Them with?

I used a 223 and a 22-250. Kept rotating guns to keep them cool. If/when I go back I would also add a 17hmr. Lots of ammo...lots.

We have been out to the Rosebud Reservation a few times. First time went it hadn't been poisoned for several years and it was a blood bath. Then when it was poisoned it wasn't good at all. I guess in recent years they passed a law on the reservation that they can no longer poison. I would think it would be good this year. We always take atv's to get off the beaten path and just to have fun. If you are not very good with a scope, you will be after a weekend of shooting prairie dogs.

You may think I'm a wimp, but I don't kill for fun. I do get rid of varmits that attack my garden like coons,mice,possums. But just if they invade my yard, If they would just stay out in the 40 acres,,, I live and let live. I know the dog holes cause livestock to break legs, so I guess ranchers consider them varmits,,but I wouldn't enjoy poppin them. Just me...

If you're a good shot, I'll let you take out a gopher or two in our neighborhood! Apparently there are more than the one I trapped last year!

Top Bottom