Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pre Orbital Gland Scent

bbdjunkie02

Has anyone tried using pre orbital gland scent?? I read an article in Deer n Deer Hunting about communication between bucks. Over 70 % of communication is through the orbital gland in the eye, as opposed to the forehead gland. Reccomended using it in late july and august to inventory bucksand to use throughout the rut. I put some out yesterday over an area where there is a scrape every year. Ill let you know how it works. Just wondered if anyone had tried it and if it worked for them.

I am naturally a sceptic on everthing, but especially on NewProducts for deer hunters. To me all these scent products occasionally produce curiosity in deer, but humans can not duplicate perfectly the complex hormones/phermones,, and scents of animals. Including the fact that most all the scents deer give off have a short life in the air. Add to that the human scent you inevitively spread all over putting the stuff out. The Deer Hunting Industry is a very lucrative business...

I quit using scents years ago. I decided that the expense far outweighed the effectiveness. There were times that I swore a deer responded to it and other times that a deer that should have smelled it acted like they could care less. There is no doubt the scent plays a major role in communications of a whitetail, but I just can't see spending the money anymore. I also felt like I was leaving more ground scent behind by placing the scent I was using in front of the stand. Hunting terrain, staying as scent free as possible, and sitting as long as I can stand it has produced well for me.

Let us know how it works. If there is a way to duplicate it for free, I'd give it a try!:way:

I don't use scent very much anymore either but I used to use a forehead gland scent made by Hawgs Limited, had great success. It became the only scent I used for a couple years. It never spooked any deer, got lot's of pictures and took a few buck with it. One was a big 11 pointer that chased another buck off it, stepped in and threw his nose straight up to work the branch. Loved the shot he gave me!

I used it on July 5th,I put it on last years buck branch and also made a new spot in a diff section.
i sprayed down camera and myself when I put it out. I checked it on the 14th and not one deer. I reapplied and will check again July 29th.

I don't use scent very much anymore either but I used to use a forehead gland scent made by Hawgs Limited, had great success. It became the only scent I used for a couple years. It never spooked any deer, got lot's of pictures and took a few buck with it. One was a big 11 pointer that chased another buck off it, stepped in and threw his nose straight up to work the branch. Loved the shot he gave me!

One of my sales reps uses Hawgs. He usually starts his scrapes the first week of Sept. and has great luck with it. I started stocking it a few years ago and have several guys using it all with good results. I've tried scents here and there over the years and since quit using them. I spend enough money on other hunting stuff...

I use scents on my mock scrapes by my stands and put cameras over them to inventory the bucks crusing during the rut. Works great. i will use a drag rag if im hunting a stand on a not so great wind.

Top Bottom