Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pre Rut Chasin

WillBates

Had a mature shooter chasing does all night. Didnt know if anybody else was starting to see this. Buddy just killed a 163 gross at 6 pm. They are on their feet!

What part of Iowa are you hunting? I have been out several times in the last week and have not seen any chasing.

I am real close by and we literally did not see a deer on our foodplot the whole night. Ideal wind conditions and perfect entry and exit route. The wife would really like to let the muzzleloader bark, but no opportunities yet.

I saw a giant last night! He was with 8 does on an acorn flat, they came out at 5:15!!! I am going to sit the same stand tonight, hoping they take the other trail leading 25 yards from me...

I've only been out twice. Had a dink nudging some doe fawns during my 2nd sit but that's about it. I'm going to hit the woods on Saturday morning. This weather is just too good to sit at home.

i also had a nice three year old buck chase a doe around then chase a doe fawn around the field then rip up a tree last night it was fun to watch.

The full moon made them wacky.It is a little early yet.They were just flirting with there future mates.

Ive taken my fiance out twice with the muzz.. both perfect evenings for deer movement and we have yet to see a deer.. dont know whats going on.. i only had one sit all of last yr that i didnt see a deer.. just bad luck and different crop rotations i guess

Ive taken my fiance out twice with the muzz.. both perfect evenings for deer movement and we have yet to see a deer.. dont know whats going on.. i only had one sit all of last yr that i didnt see a deer.. just bad luck and different crop rotations i guess

I'm in nearly the same boat. Haven't seen hardly any deer. I think the crop rotation as well as quantity of crops still in the ground is the problem.

Out of 5 sits this year, I've had 3 where I didn't see any deer. I believe it's due to reduced food sources and crop rotations. Haven't seen any type of chasing/checking does, but have only seen a 1.5 yr old as far as bucks go. Haven't been out this week so can't say they haven't been. Hoping this weekend shows some more activity than the last two.

of all my sits this year- I have had 90% of my deer seen before 9AM- and only a couple deer in the evening- but its night and day different for me right now with AM and PM sits

I have yet to see any rubs or scrapes. I have favorite rub trees they use every year. I can see many of them from the road, but none have been touched. Hope things are just late this year or this lack of evidence does not bode well for Nov.?:confused:

I have yet to see any rubs or scrapes. I have favorite rub trees they use every year. I can see many of them from the road, but none have been touched. Hope things are just late this year or this lack of evidence does not bode well for Nov.?:confused:

November will be money, just like every year.

I've only seen one young buck and 3 does in which one I shot. I have only been out a few times but does seem like the deer movement is a tad slower then previous years this early in the season. I believe it will pick up with the temps dropping this weekend! Good luck to everyone!

What part of Iowa are you hunting? I have been out several times in the last week and have not seen any chasing.
SW Iowa. Talked to some others, and there saying the same thing. Seen 4 small bucks pushing 1 poor doe all over last night. Also have seen some good light sparring.
Drove around this morning and seen deer out in fields till around 11. Definately the latest ive seen deer feed so far this year.
I would say Halloween week could be a winner if the crops were out. Still early though.

I saw a giant last night! He was with 8 does on an acorn flat, they came out at 5:15!!! I am going to sit the same stand tonight, hoping they take the other trail leading 25 yards from me...
My buddy shot his 163 at around 5:55 pm, I called him at 6:02 after he texted me he shot a big one, I looked up at 300yrds and there was a shooter watching the field. He came out of the corn, started coming my way the boom, 3 does came into the field and he was running them all over. 530-600 seems to be the main movement time here.

I had a decent 10 pushing 3 does last night. Covered about 300 yds in about 25 mins. I had a buck decoy out, and once he was about 100yds out he came on a line to check out the decoy. Wasn't aggressive just pretty curious....I missed my shot ( just ignore the minor detail)

For about an hour this morning, a spike and a young 6 point bothered the does in the area. They never really chased them, just tried to approach them and the does wanted nothing to do with them. One doe urinated, the six point sniffed the spot and did the lip curl. They were all between 10 and 20 yards, hope the big boys join the party soon. ;)

Top Bottom