Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Predicting the rut

idsman75

I have to request my Oct-Dec vacation days this week and I am trying to decide when I should hunt this year. This will be my fourth year hunting in Iowa. I've hunted two late shotgun seasons and one muzzleloader season so far and I am going to be using a bow this year.

I'm trying to figure out the best time to schedule my vacation with regards to the timing of the rut. I'm leaning towards the second week in November.

Does anyone have any opinions on the matter?

If I could only hunt one week out of the year it would be the first week of november. That's when I always see the most bucks. The second week is good also. Heck, just take the whole month off.
smile.gif

I'm taking a 3 day weekend the 1st week of November. Last year it seems they ran really hard during daylight hours during the first week. I'll probably hunt the last week of October pretty hard as well. Of course, each year is different...but arguing that any time that time of year is a bad time to be out is hard to do!

It's tough to beat the week after Halloween. I will be off from Oct. 29th - Nov. 14th. If I could only take one week it would be Nov. 1st - 7th. My 2 cents. Good luck idsman75.

I WISH I could take the whole month off but Uncle Sam won't be having it
grin.gif

I'm going to request the first five days of November and then save 2 days for the family during the Christmas holidays. It's nice being single w/no kids.
grin.gif

Too bad I can only take 7 days every quarter
shocked.gif

Good luck.Uncle Sam has a funny way of doing things doesn't he?Best of luck to ya.

I would certainly agree with most already posting that sometime during the last few days of October thru the second week of November is usually the peak of the rut in my area here in Southwest Iowa.

Having agreed with that though, it is my opinion that I see a lot more big bucks the last week of November. These big bucks are still in full rut and cursing for a receptive doe. This I believe is due to the majority of does having been bred by then.

Top Bottom