Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Prescribed Fire

FarmlandQDM

Everyone thinks about burning grass this time of the year but it is also a good time to manage your timber with fire. The photos below are from one of our burns yesterday.

DSC03731.jpg

DSC03734.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

Our burn objective was to promote forb growth, increase oak regeneration, and suppress invasive competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our burn objective was to promote forb growth, increase oak regeneration, and suppress invasive competition. </div></div>

Evening burn? Seems like evenings are better as the wind is dying down...any thoughts or vary from burn to burn?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Evening burn? Seems like evenings are better as the wind is dying down...any thoughts or vary from burn to burn? </div></div>

Actually Paul, the only reason we were burning at this time was simply because we were trying to get one more in before the humidity came up too much.

I prefer to burn timber between 1pm and 5 pm when the humidity is usually the lowest. Full sunlight and a 10 to 15 mph wind is helpful too. Burning timber outside of these conditions often requires alot of drip torch encouragement for the fire.

Burning a grass field in the evening usually decreases fire intensity making a burn easier to control ... but due to the lack of one hour fuels in most timber stands it is easier to get an effective burn with more extreme burning conditions ... i.e. good wind, low humidty, full sun, high temps ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always wanted to try burning a few parts of my timber but I havent got the guts to do it.... </div></div>

If you can burn switchgrass you can burn timber, it is much easier to control. The big difference between a grass fire and a timber fire is your time. Grass fires are over in a very short time after the flames are out. With a timber burn you have to babysit the fire for days sometimes, putting out smoldering stumps, logs and snags.

great pics. I tried that ONCE. Everything went good until the end. From now on the local Fire Dept. gets a nice donation to come BURN for me.

Top Bottom