Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

procedures on pre-planting

Buck-Man

Folks im looking for the proper steps for soil prep and before planting **starting after soil tests.
Ive Tilled up approx.2-3 acres the last week, and another 3-4 acres yet to till this week weather permitting.

I will be planting 2/3 of them in clovers.
The rest will be RR corn
and a few single plots of trefoils,crown vetch,chufa,winter triticale. Then I will be planting all my brassicas,turnips,radishes etc..
I will not be mixing any seeds seperate plots only!
Now after this first pass on the tiller do I wait for grass n weeds to pop up and till again then plant or do I till again wait for growth then spray GLY then plant my clovers and other spring planting.
*NOTE*
Some of the first spots I tilled were smooth like butter and some that were damp had some small clumping ,nothing major .

Last edited:
Never a better time to seed clover than now via frost seeding-but not sure how to incorporate the others WITH the clover.

I am going to try and quiz myself here per Pauls's recs on my farm at #400 per acre of 6-28-28 fertilizer and #500 per acre of lime. That would be great to do now IMO before planting but lets see what Paul says.

Are these established food plots or new? If established you should have no problems with weeds if they have been kept clean in the past....if new, be careful on planting your clover before the soil temp heat up...lesson learned for me last year was I planted in early may when temps were still fairly cool and then it heated up and the weeds took off...at that point there is not much you can do but to keep it mowed down to prevent the weeds from seeding out and hoping the clover will choke out most of the wseeds the following year.

2-3 acres were previously a few clover plots and chichory/clover mix that just weeded up and wore out. So im just re-doing these.
The remaining 2-3 acres are gonna be new plots.
Just not sure if i should till a second time on the re-do plots then spray Gly , and on the new stuff i have to till yet do I spray ,Till ,Spray or Till, spray ,Till.

I would try to get 2 gly sprayings on the new plots for sure if it will be a perennial.(till, spray, till, spray,). If you dont, then you will be battling weeds big time. Just keep in mind that everytime you disturb the soil you will bring more dormant weed seeds to the surface to germinate. I always seem to get weeds on new plots no matter what so try to keep the clover/chicory mowed down so the weeds cannot seed out.

Top Bottom