Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Propane usage

iKill_Bucks

I know this has nothing to do with hunting, but I'm curious to know. Those of you who live in a house that has LP, how much does it generally cost you per month? Or how many times do you fill the tank a year? Looking at a house and need to know. The stove, water heater, and heat all use LP. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Not knowing how well the house is insulated, how new the furnace is, how much cooking and washing, how warm you want to heat it, budget $1,000/yr (probably close to being right or a little high).

Price wise I couldn't really tell you. A lot of it depends on the efficiency of the furnace, and water heater, other appliances Im not sure about.

Before it warms up too much, take a look at the roof and see how much snow is on it still.. If it's well insulated, it should probably still have snow on it.. at least on any north facing slopes. I'm in 2700 Sq ft and I use around 200 gal of LP per year but I have an outdoor wood burner that heats the house and supplements the hot water heater in the winter.. before I moved here, I lived in a small trailer that was 13' by 70' and that thing used LP like it was it's job.. I believe I went through over 1000 gal per yr in that thing so it is really hard to tell without more info

Our place was built in 94 3000 sq feet total very good insulation use about 1000 gallons a winter.

Lots of variables here, but if it is a common two story house built in 1905 you will pretty easily use between 1200 and 2000 gallons of propane a year. My boss has a big old two story house and he has already used over 1000 gallons so far this winter. I had a fill 2 weeks ago of 350 gallons @ 1.89 a gallon and we will typically use 800 to 900 gallons per year and this is for a 1600 sf ranch style house built on a slab in 1995, but the wife keeps thermo set at 71 degrees.

The seller should be able to give you a good idea.
If they don't know, have them check with the LP provider. They will be able to tell you how many visits they made, and how much was delivered.

Insulation, windows (number & quality) as well as furnace efficiency will all play a very major role in determining energy cost.

The seller should be able to give you a good idea.
If they don't know, have them check with the LP provider. They will be able to tell you how many visits they made, and how much was delivered.
I'd just call the propane company outright and ask for previous years deliveries. It also depends on the price of LP.
A few years ago when gas prices were outrageous, we rented a house that was heated with propane. The house was built in 1917. Granted the place was huge, two stories, six br and 2 bath. I am not kidding it cost us 680 dollars every two weeks just to heat it. The propane company had a minimum fill of 300 gal. for each trip out.
Turns out the landlord lied about heating cost so we were able to break our lease.
Long story short, talk to the propane company.

Last edited:
Just give the LP company a call they should tell you everything you need to know about the house

Obviously it varies quite a bit judging by all the information you all have provided. Thanks everyone! Helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

You might want to look into a wood burning stove or something? Nothing quite like it!!! We heat our house with wood, it a 2100 sq ft ranch home. Just looked at the thermo it says 78 right now!!!! We have LP for our furnace (use it when we arent home), stove, hot water n dryer. We spend right around $500 per yr. The gas Co told us the previous owner was spending $1800 per yr (without out the wood burner.)

I have a 2800 sq ft home in Wisconsin. Built in 2010 and very well built. I have a wood fireplace in my great room which heats the front half of the house. In floor heat in basement and garage. I go through 400-500 a month if really cold. But.....I have tall ceilings and lots of big windows for the hillside view. I pay for that view every month. Lol

We have a two story house built in 1900 that was costing us 200-400 dollars a month to heat. Six years ago I put in a St Croix corn burning stove and burn 80-100 bushels per winter. Along with a infrared heater keeps our house comfortable. Easy to install on any exterior wall. You could save quite a bit versus heating with propane. Just another option.

We have a two story house built in 1900 that was costing us 200-400 dollars a month to heat. Six years ago I put in a St Croix corn burning stove and burn 80-100 bushels per winter. Along with a infrared heater keeps our house comfortable. Easy to install on any exterior wall. You could save quite a bit versus heating with propane. Just another option.
Burning $8/bushel corn? Granted it's dropped to $4 lately, but seems volatile.

My home is 1800 square foot. I use propane and supplement with wood. I use about 500 gallons of gas and burn 11 face cords of wood a heating season. (October to April)Really happy with the wood. I hate the propane bill. Maybe one day they will run a natural gas line close by...now that is truely the way to go, if possible in your area.

Burning $8/bushel corn? Granted it's dropped to $4 lately, but seems volatile.

Yeah corn prices have been high lately. When I bought the stove I paid $1.40/bushel and heated my house for $140 for the season. Last winter I paid $7.00. This winter $4.00 but even at $7/bushel it still only cost me $700 for the season. When it's cold I would pay that in a couple months. It wouldn't be for everyone there is some work involved in keeping it full of corn but it is another heating alternative.

Top Bottom