Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Property line question

ShedderKG

I got to thinking about this after seeing the thread posted about the Outfitter who may be in question about shooting lanes cut towards a different land owners property.

I hunt a property that on the west end of the property, it divides the one I can hunt with the one I can't with a fence line that separates what is this year a corn field which I can hunt and then the bean field to the west which I can't. Way in the southwest corner of the corn field, there is maybe a group of 6-8 trees. Now, the property to the west is a much larger property with much more cover and I would guess that 80% of the deer around bed on that property. Every single tree that is in that sw corner of the corn field are all on the side of the fence which I can hunt. The fence that separates the two properties goes right underneath them. One of the bigger trees in the bunch has a definite lean to it. So the base of the tree is on my side of the fence and the higher it goes, leans towards the other property. The guys who hunt that other property have a ladder stand which the ladder is on their side of the property and is put on the tree that the base is on my side but access to the ladder and where they actually sit on the tree is basically right above the fence line.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at here is ... are they legal to have a tree stand there. I've never once seen someone sit in that stand. I think they use it for gun season. But where is the line drawn according to this scenario?

Thanks for any input :way:

Seems to be splitting hairs. Does it really matter that much as long as they aren't shooting on "your" property?

Seems to be splitting hairs. Does it really matter that much as long as they aren't shooting on "your" property?

No, it really doesn't matter too much to me at all. And even if it ended up being considered on the property I can hunt, I wouldn't have them move it. It's facing away from the property I can hunt. Just got me thinking as all. I guess I'm not really the type of guy who thinks setting up near a property line is that big of a deal as long as you are on the property you have permission for and not shooting across the fence. Like I said, just curious to see what others would think.

I did this but have permission on both properties. I wouldn't think it'd be legal and its pushing it. If you put a hang on there it would be on the other guys property.

The ladder stand is on your property. I went through this with a buddy a few years ago. He had a lease that backed up to a park. The fence was attached to a tree that was growing on the park side of the fence but leaned toward his property. So he hung a ladder stand and it ended up costing him!

I think the property line starts at ground level and goes into the air, meaning your stand has to be in tree branches on your side of the fence.

Last edited:
I think the property line starts at ground level and goes into the air, meaning the your stand has to be in tree branches on your side of the fence.

This is correct. If a tree has branches or roots growing into an adjacent property, that property owner is free to do what they will up to the property line. The law is clear on this.
It gets complicated if the tree has ever been used as a boundary marker though.
CJgarrett, your friend should not have lost that dispute.

Top Bottom