Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Proud Pops

ISHEDHUNT

Life Member
Most of you aren't aware that I got custody of my youngest son almost two years ago, he has expressed an intrest in the outdoors. So last year I bought him a new Quest Bow. I had a couple friends teach him to shoot (thanks Steve-O and Nanny) didn't want him picking up any of dad's bad shooting form. We practiced quite a bit last summer but I didn't feel he was quite ready to hunt with a bow so we muzzle load hunted and he smoked a big doe when we were with Nanny last September. Friday evening we end up in the Bowtech rig at the Nebraska Classic. He couldn't wait to get home and get his bow out.

He has been bugging me to get the bows out and start shooting so yesterday he shot about 20 arrows. I turned the bow up about 3 pounds so now he is close to 50 pounds. Tonight he asked to shoot again so I told him set it up and grab my bow I'll be right out. His 3rd arrow and whack. It startled him. A sweet robinhood, he was worried I would be upset. I told him no don't worry about it. I am glad it was with his practice arrows though.

I think this may be the year he realizes he is a better shot that old Dad! I can't wait to get him in the tree come September!
DSC09919.jpg

DSC09918.jpg

Chris

Dang, Aaron is definitly showin ole dad how to shoot now. Heck, I'm not going to try and compete with him now!!

Nice shootin'

Given half a chance, my sons would have stuck a few in the siding before they ever got a robin hood! Congrats to the young man!

heck, put him in the turkey blind now!

nice shooting! tell him its a heck of alot cooler to shoot one of dad's arrows, though

you must have a lot of faith in him. I dont know that I'd trust myself to not put a hole in the siding. Nice shootin!

This mean you will be behind the camera more instead of in front of it? Just wait until he starts using your arrows!!!!!

Huntdoc-that's exactly what it means! Between him and my new wife my season will be pretty busy behind the camera. Should be a great season.

Chris

Chris, When the student becomes the master, are days/moments that we never forget in our journey through life. You will never forget it and neither will he.:way:

Pretty sweet stuff Chris, of all those targets, which one do you recommend? I've always heard you shouldn't shoot Morrell targets with field points?

Matt that Morrell holds up pretty well, it's a bear to pull arrows out of though. Aaron likes the Block the best but he has hammered the kill zones on a couple of sides of it then the brown material comes off it revealing the core material. The Black holes work great for the kids, but won't hold up long to our shooting. For the money it's hard to beat the Morrell in my opinion.

Chris I've been told that you should never ever shoot field tips into the Morrell because it's impossible to get the arrows back out, especially if it's brand new? To me that means it will hold up twice as long once you get it broke in a little bit? Maybe shoot some broadheads into it and get it worked in?

How tough is the Morrell for pulling? More trouble than it's worth? If I start losing inserts then there's no way I'd go with it. I was going to trip the trigger on the Block and just shoot field tips but if they come apart, no way.

Matt we have never lost any inserts with any of the arrows and Aaron can pull them out, just not as easy as the Block. I'm with you though it makes sense that it should last longer.

I've only shot Broadheads into the Morrell and the Black Holes. After watching what happens to the Block with just field tips I'm glad we never shot Broadheads into it. I like the different sides of the new block, but it doesn't seem to hold up as well as the old Blocks did.

Chris

How many pounds is Aaron shooting? I'm wondering if my 70 pound bow would make it even more difficult to pull them out and if it'd be worth the effort. I really don't need to blow my colon out while trying to pull arrows.

Funny it's mentioned about broadheads and the block... they advertise as the best but i've never heard anyone say they truely like their block for broadheads.

Matt he is shooting 50 pounds now. I'm shooting 61 pounds. I know a few friends who are over from time to time and they shoot 70 pounds. They commented on how hard it is to pull them out but we have yet to lose an insert.

Chris

Last edited:
Top Bottom