Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public by Ankeny

mmatthes90

Going hunting with a first timer from Ankeny. Anyone direct on some good public ground withing 30-40 minutes. I'm not at all familar with the area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is some good public ground north of Granger off of Highway 17 just south of Madrid right on the river. Check a Sportsmans Atlas out and I know there are more areas but I am drawing a blank right now.

I actually saw a Gobbler on I-35 just North of Ankeny and before the Elkart exit. It was on the EAST side of the road. The nearest habitat suitable for turkey would be the Chicaqua Bottoms. 6400 acres public land. I've never hunted there, but thought about it. If you go, let me know how it is.

I was going to suggest the Madrid area also along the river.I was up that way saturday and seen several trucks parked off the gravel.Try to hunt during the week if you are able,not as much competition.

I wouldn't go to Chicaqua Bottoms for Turkeys if you could help it, you might be able to kill one but it's gonna be alot of work. I know there's at least one out there because I had him fired up on opening day. Only thing is he wouldn't cross the multiple waist-deep winding creeks and thick brush in between the two of us and neither would I. Although I only hunted the Southern half it seemed more suitable for deer and waterfowl, I'm not sure about the rest of it though.

you might get a little stink from chicagua bottom`s , sewer plant just west of there. so if you have a south east wind it may be a little smelly
doah.gif
Ive scouted it but never hunted it. skunk river runs down the back side next to I-35 . might get a turkey out of there.

Alright well I'm going to scout the Chichaqua tomorrow, you said to check out the back side, by this do you mean west? and would that be the north west or south west. I love hunting places I've never hunted before, especially public.

Top Bottom