Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

public hunting in northeast iowa

We have a local public hunting park here in Monroe County that gets hammered with a group of the Hmong's each year as well. We are only about 40 miles North of the Missouri line.

It is no joke how these crazies eat there squirrels either, on a stick and pretty much the entire body is roasted.

Typically when I see posts like this the sirens go off and I try to deflect you somewhere else:rolleyes:

But no B.S., I hunt next to state land in allamakee county and I have seen a drastic increase in hunting pressure. About 5 years ago it was "awesome" very little pressure or traffic. The last two years I have seen a huge increase during the deer seasons, especially shotgun.

I watched a group of hmongs gut a deer once and I remember the guy scraping out the inside of the stomach with his hands. I about threw up. They kept every part of that deer so I do have respect for them regarding that.

We have quite a bit of public ground near both our farms in Allamakee/Clayton counties, Hmong problems have been every now and then. we've found their campsites before, but it seems to be improving every year. I personally have never seen one hunting our land, but our neighbor kicks them out with regularity. If they want to shoot within the regulations, I don't have a problem. However, when they start shooting song birds or non-game animals, that gets me a little fired up.

Typically when I see posts like this the sirens go off and I try to deflect you somewhere else:rolleyes:

But no B.S., I hunt next to state land in allamakee county and I have seen a drastic increase in hunting pressure. About 5 years ago it was "awesome" very little pressure or traffic. The last two years I have seen a huge increase during the deer seasons, especially shotgun.

I hear ya there Chip... It's definitely gotten crazy the last couple years...

I hear ya there Chip... It's definitely gotten crazy the last couple years...

Talking to the DNR officer, he mentioned what a zoo it was last shotgun season up there. Said he's seen nothing like it. 30 some vehicles parked at one unit during the first season opener.

Same unit I talked to you about a couple years ago Waukon...

He wasn't sure why, but he suspected it was do to people loosing access to private areas. That was my thoughts to.

Last edited:
Im confused KBNelson. Why does your profile picture have "the worst state ever"? Iowa

My guess, from reading his previous posts on here, is that he has his panties in a bunch over Iowa's deer hunting laws in regards to non-resident landowners.:rolleyes:

That ought to blow this thread wide open.:D

My guess, from reading his previous posts on here, is that he has his panties in a bunch over Iowa's deer hunting laws in regards to non-resident landowners.:rolleyes:

That ought to blow this thread wide open.:D

it's more of an academic/athletic protest than an indictment of the NR laws in iowa. Sconnie(www.sconnie.com) is a company that makes shirts in Madison, one of their more popular lines is the one depicting each state that has a school in the Big 10 with WORST STATE EVER in the middle of it. At UW, Minnesota is probably our biggest rival with Iowa #2. I've grown up despising the Hawkeyes and everything associated with the University of Iowa pretty much my whole life.

sorry i'm not taking the obvious bait haha.

I stand corrected.

Kudos to you.:way:

Pretty sure your first post was closer to hitting the nail on the head. :grin: If I were to get that printed on a shirt I'd need at least 20 shirts, one for every big ten rival, most of the big 12, Ames in general, the packers, the red sox, mexico, and guam. :moon:

The mong's are all over eastern Iowa state land. Probably because that is where the majority of state land is. But it's not just during the hunting season. They wipe out trout holes as fast as they can be stocked. And if you ever go to Decorah; check out the dam. I'll bet you'll see them in their skivies netting fish. I do alot of canoeing, and see them everywhere in north east Iowa.

Hey guys, excuse me for pulling up this old thread, but my buddy and I have 4 NR Iowa points and were trying to pick a zone - 9, 6 or 5. We have hunted 5 before and are familiar with much of the public ground there. But with 4 points can draw 9 or 6 which take more points. I have hat hunted Iowa in 6 years. I never saw any Hmongs in zone 5. If we will be hunting public is this Hmong problem something we actually should be concerned with when selecting a zone? Thanks.

Has the Hmong use of public land increased much since 6 years ago?

That's too bad about the small game hunters in IA. Why doesn't the IA DNR just jack up the price of admission to small game hunters and take some of the burden off us Deer hunters... :grin:

That's too bad about the small game hunters in IA. Why doesn't the IA DNR just jack up the price of admission to small game hunters and take some of the burden off us Deer hunters... :grin:

The jacked up price you refer to will be passed to deer hunters as well. Your first post and this was the best idea you could come up with?.........ck

Hey guys, excuse me for pulling up this old thread, but my buddy and I have 4 NR Iowa points and were trying to pick a zone - 9, 6 or 5. We have hunted 5 before and are familiar with much of the public ground there. But with 4 points can draw 9 or 6 which take more points. I have hat hunted Iowa in 6 years. I never saw any Hmongs in zone 5. If we will be hunting public is this Hmong problem something we actually should be concerned with when selecting a zone? Thanks.

Has the Hmong use of public land increased much since 6 years ago?

If you don't want to chance dealing with them, you'd be better off in Southern Iowa. The largest communities are in LaCrosse and the Twin Cities, which are relatively close to NE Iowa.

It is amazing to me that the DNR let's this happen. I have sent numerous emails to the DNR suggesting that squirrel seasons be offset from deer (specifically bow) seasons in an effort to minimize the chances of an inadvertant shooting by squirrel hunters but the suggestion has fallen on deaf ears.

Public Ground can be used by nature lovers too, its not just for hunters. I wear blaze orange anytime Im out in the woods when Hunting season is open, that includes when I am out Squirrel hunting. I do Squirrel hunt when deer season is open, BUT only if no other people are out deer hunting. If I see people parked at the landing, I go somewhere else.

Since late season antlerless is closed in my area, thats a great time to go out Rabbit hunting!

Top Bottom