Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

public land bucks

shackdaddy

what kind of buck does everyone look for on public land? i know some people get lucky and score a trophy but whats the normal buck taken... just curious

I have killed many smaller bucks on public land. Last year I was holding off for a trophy buck and didnt take a deer at all. This year I killed a nice buck last weekend on public land. It depends how much hunting pressure the land receives but I have seen some really nice bucks running around on public ground. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Totally agree on the amount of pressure the land has. I doubt that it only has small bucks, just have to go deeper than most hunters would go and hope for a crack at one. Good luck to you.

Look for a buck that makes you happy. Ticks me off when guys shoot small ones just because its public land.

This buck was taken Monday on public land.

4012DSC00024.JPG

Public or private my standards wouldn't change. If you do your homework you can get into big deer on public land. Since a lot of the private ground I used to hunt was open invitation to every tom, [censored], and harry all I had to do was figure out other hunters locations and paths and hunt around them. By being carefull you can pattern the deer after the deer pattern the sloppy hunters.

Public land can be very good, and there are some real big bucks on them. The key is a lot of hard work. I have hunted on public land for over 10 years and there are a lot of lazy hunters. Hunting public land can be Frustrating, but if you put in your time it can pay off real well.

I'm trying my first stint on public land this year. My standards drop in there. Not b/c of the am't of pressure but b/c the food sources just aren't there, it's solid forest. I'm going for round 2 tomorrow and I've said from the get go that a mature 140 plus 8 or anything mature and over 150, 10 pts or more is in trouble.
smirk.gif

The guy who I go with has passed a real heavy 140+ 8 twice from his 2 man stand. I told him if it shows tomorrow I'm giving it a dirt nap.
laugh.gif

Top Bottom