Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

public land muzzleloading

buckhunter31

buckhunter31
I am thinking about appllying for the late muzzleloader next year and i am wondering what the public land is like that time of year? Is there alot of people? Is there deer or have they all moved out after 2 season of shotgun? I know there is standing corn on the public so i would think there should be deer. I do have private land to hunt to but there is no standing crops on the property so i dont know how good it would be.

If you have some public land that has some good food on it. Should be fine. Mature bucks sure wont take much pressure this time of year.

My advice would be to come down here around this february or any time we have a good amount of snow and start walking public areas you want to look at hunting. That will tell you whether or not deer will be in them. I have hunted a lot of public land around the state and a lot of those areas are just flat out dead. Other areas will hold a descent amount of deer. Just looking at a map on the iowadnr website isn't going to do it late season. Bow season yes but late season is a different animal all together because like I said, some spots will be flat out dead.

I have been coming over there for 3 yrs scouting and this year I bow hunted. I guess I am wondering if there is a lot of pressure from other hunters (deer drives).

Most (if not nearly all) public land in IA is pushed during shotgun 1 and/or 2. That's why the deer are skittish even on private ground. You can't really get around that, so hope for cold and find the food. Right now there's no cold so deer are basically nocturnal and maybe coming out the last 10 mins of light if at all.

Top Bottom