Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land

75% of my deer hunting is on public land. During the rut deer move through the public land looking for does just like private. The big difference is anyone else can walk through at will, Sguirrel, pheasant, or duck hunters. One day you can sit by yourself and the next day someone else can move in and put their stand 50yds. from you. It can get frustrating at times, if I am in a new area I try to stay 200yds. away from anyone already there and not cut the deer away from the first person. I also carry a climbing stand, the last time I put up a portable stand and carried in the ladder someone came in off of private property and cut it out of the tree with a bolt cutter. Lots of luck! Al

About half my time is on public. There is usually not a huge amt of pressure where I'm at and if there's anyone in the parking lot I turn around. I was in my stand bowhunting and a guy and his son (muzzleloader hunting) sat between me and where I expected the deer to come from. Sure enough, out walked 3 does and through binocs I got to watch the kid shoot his first deer. The dad apologized, but I didn't care in the least...it was pretty neat watching them.

I spend 100% of my time on public land. I shot my 10pt this year on public. When i tell people that i shot my buck on public land they can't belive it. I don't think people understand the quality of bucks on public land. The key is you have to be patient, and understand were people are hunting around you. I still wish i could find some nice privet land to hunt.

Top Bottom