Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land

zenhunter

I know in the California waterfowl forums I belong to, if you ask for recommendations for good blinds on public refuges you risk getting GPS coordinates for the porta-potty...

But here goes anyway...

Does anyone have any recommendations on public land for bow hunting in Zone 5?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I'm not real familiar with that zone and I don't think there is much state forest (if any).

My recommendation is for you to get a copy of Iowa Sportsman's Atlas. It will show you public hunting land.

From Iowa DNR: (Visit the DNR link as there are hyperlinks that didn't transfer in the copy below).
Where can I get information on Iowa’s public hunting areas?

* Obtain a copy the Iowa Public Hunting Areas brochure by contacting the Iowa DNR, Wallace State Office Building, Des Moines, IA 50319-0034, or call (515) 281-5918.
* Utilize the Iowa DNR Interactive Mapping Website.
* Obtain a copy of the Iowa Sportsman’s Atlas by writing to the Sportsman Atlas Co., P.O. Box 132, Lytton, IA 50561, calling 1-800-568-8334.

Thanks! I ordered the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas, and I have downloaded all the great satellite maps of the WMA's.

It looks like there are about 20 WMAs in Zone 5 and trouble is, they ALL look good to me. Just wondering what local hunters think of them. I've got about 12 days to hunt, so I can hunt more than one spot.

I don't know the towns, but the counties are Warren, Marion, lower parts of Mahaska, Keokuk, and Washington, eastern halves of Clarke and Decatur, Northern parts of Wapello, Jefferson and Henry, and Lucas, Monroe, Appanoose, and Wayne counties.

If your standards are just a good buck 125" or there abouts....just show up with stand on back and sit some funnels and you should be fine. Live and learn bud. Good luck

the best thing to do would be to take a 3 day weekend, and tour the land, and knock on doors. sportsmans atlas will definately be your best friend

That Stephen's state forest is in Lucas county I think, whatever the name- the big one in Lucas county, I've driven by it and it looks SWEET!

Part of Stephens State Forest is in Lucas. So is part of the Rathbun area.

The plan is to scout the first couple of days I'm there, but 1,700 miles is a little far for a separate scouting trip.

I'll be as happy (and relieved) as a one-arm bartender at closing time on St. Patrick's day to bring home just about any size buck.

The lake rathbun area has some great public ground. I know a few guys with access to lots of ground that make the trip over there. You should be able to get it done in twelve days. Like some one mentioned before sit in funnels and watch the wind, you will see something. Good luck. I live in Jefferson county and there are some good areas here also. Let me know if you need any help.

Lake Red Rock in Marion co is good. With the high water this year there won't be any cover in the bottoms. This will push the deer to the uplands.

Well.. Ill be straight up... Russell (sp?) wildlife refuge has some land by the river... seen a 14 pt running through there during the rut... CRAZY rack! Would love to try and get him but i live in Deep river and dont really wanna make that 45 min drive in the morning to get to the stop i see him running through...

Its the public land down on the glendale highway... near the lacey highway... Go have fun.. some big ones in there!!!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some good public ground pieces in Warren county. Once you get your atlas, check them out. </div></div>

Yes there is! It sure worked out for me last season...

Top Bottom