Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public land

I've looked at maps online and such at the public land in iowa. I do not have any pref. points but plan on putting in starting next year to start my 3+ year wait to draw a NR archery tag. I jus wana see some of yall's opinions on public land. If given a choice of one WMA in southeast iowa which would you chose? I live in western, ky. I doubt any of yall would ever come here to deer hunt since its not near as good as iowa. But our turkey hunting is great . Id be more fhen happy to help anyone out on turkey hunting if any of yall decide to come here in the future. Our public land here is pounded wayy to much to deer hint in rifle season. All the young/small bucks get killed out. But what public land in southeast iowa would yall rather hunt. Thanks for the info fellas! Oh yea how is the public land waterfowl hunting in southeast iowa? Hows the number of ducks, and how much pressure does the wma's get on duck hunting

I don't know much about the waterfowl hunting but when looking for public ground to deer hunt the western part of the state is usually underrated. Seems like out of staters always want to hunt the big buck producing counties which might make sense, but you also have to realize that those statistics are not secrets which produces more competition for a spot on public ground. There's public ground around me that I know for a fact nobody bow hunted (yet) this year. I also know for a fact there's a 160 plus deer running around in there somewhere. It just goes to show you that maybe it might be a better idea to take a look at the less popular zones. You might not have a great chance at a deer of a lifetime in these zones but you also wouldn't have to worry about sharing a seat with someone, just something to take into consideration. Good luck with your draw!

I would take the time to make a trip out here and scout some of the areas you want to hunt. Big bucks get shot on public land every year here in Iowa but you have to work your butt of for them. I'd start with the areas that are furthest from the bigger towns and cities.

The waterfowl hunting is normally good on the mississippi river...but with the drought we had this year it wasn't good in the interior part of the state.

As far as public areas you hunt, you'll most likely need more than 1 PP to draw. In the mean time, I'd make a trip up and check some of them out. Most of the WMA's in southern IA offer decent hunting.

You are thinking right to bow hunt....everywhere gets pounded during shotgun season. We also have a rifle season after muzzy season ends in late january for does so a lot of deer are shot and pushed around then.

I'd say to pick up a sportsmans atlas and grab a week's vacation and come up here to look around. I've hunted public land most of my life and can say I don't see many 'giants' or 150+ bucks honestly. It's hard hunting to get something like that, but you will most likely see a few deer and have an enjoyable trip.

Top Bottom