Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public tree stand law help?

buberwin

So what are all the laws for placing tree stands on public land? The rules and reg book isn't very clear. When can I put them up, do I need to have my name and info on it, can I use screw in bow hooks, can I chain and paddle lock it? Thanks Bub

I believe stands have to be waited on until 10 days before season starts to put up. Taken down 10 days after it closes. Nothing can be screwed I.to the tree.

Muddy's got it right can put them up 10 days before haft to be taken down within 10 days of the close of the season you cannot screw anything into a tree on public land and yes you can padlock it. Hope this helps

I might add that ANYONE can use it. Just in case someone is sitting in it when you get there! lol!

I might add that ANYONE can use it. Just in case someone is sitting in it when you get there! lol!

With some setups I've seen on public, I don't think I'd risk sitting in someone else's stand.

But yeah, 10 days before the season is when you can put them up, need to be taken down within 10 days of deer season ending. If you don't take them down the DNR will take them down for you (and keep them). :way:

If someone is in it they haft to get down when told if they dont you call dnr and they will handle it, but if you construct a natural ground blind then it doesnt matter first person there gets it regardless of who constructed it.

DoeRegulator- curious where you heard that a person has to get out of a stand? I have always been told first come first serve on public ground by DNR officer, whether its your stand or not... just curious...not trying to start anything...

DoeRegulator- curious where you heard that a person has to get out of a stand? I have always been told first come first serve on public ground by DNR officer, whether its your stand or not... just curious...not trying to start anything...

Correct. :way:

flugge said:

Luckfully whoever is in my stand is the day I picked to pull the sticks and leave the stand in the tree. ;)

Read it in a reg book somewhere and confirmed it with a dnr officer at the classic this year cause i had a problem with people in my stand on public land, basically your stand is private property therefore nobody else can legally hunt out of it or remove it without your permission.

Pg 14 of the regs, Blinds section does say a blind must be made of natural vegatation found in the area and is on a first come first serve basis in game management areas. Pg 23 refering to deer stands says they can be there 7 days before or 7 days after season as others have said. It doesn't say either way about them being private property or being on a first come first serve basis. Makes for an interesting discussion as I have had a CO tell me before it is first come first serve on public ground.

Thanks for the replys guys, so my name and addy doesn't have to be put on the stand anywhere? I really don't believe I'll have a problem with people sitting in them, I have sole rights to the land the butts up to it and they would have to walk a couple miles threw the entire section of land to get to my stands, that wouldn't make much since because they would probably bump most of the deer out of the area anyway.

Top Bottom