Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pulling Autumn Olive & Honeysuckle?

2-bucks

PMA Member
Has anyone here had luck pulling these? I am looking at buying a tree/post puller ($1,500) for my tractor and pulling 10 acres that are THICK with these bushes. I know its not near as fast as running a forestry mulcher over them but just curious if anyone else has done this. Hack and squirt or basal bark are not great options for me because they are so thick I can't even walk through them.

Has anyone here had luck pulling these? I am looking at buying a tree/post puller ($1,500) for my tractor and pulling 10 acres that are THICK with these bushes. I know its not near as fast as running a forestry mulcher over them but just curious if anyone else has done this. Hack and squirt or basal bark are not great options for me because they are so thick I can't even walk through them.
I have pulled honeysuckle out of a buddy's yard and it worked fine. Be aware you are going to have big divets everywhere from the rootballs. I have a notch brand puller that has been fantastic. Im sure they are more than 1500 but are worth it in my opinion. We use it mostly to pull mullberries out of fencerows and waterways .

Tree puller pulls them very easily but mounted on a tractor will be extremely slow. Slow to maneuver, hydraulics are slower, etc. I have used puller on a skidsteer and much better/quicker. You can shake almost all of the soil off the roots to avoid large craters, but again this would be harder to do with the slower tractor hydraulics.

It’ll work. One thing I’ve thought of is pulling em out and setting by hole where roots can’t grow back. Plant dies and material will kinda fill in. Not ideal but I might try some form of that. Skid steer is handy cause it can shake em reallly nice to get dirt off. Maybe with tractor too?
Now - a cutter is good of any kind but u have to be able to see the stem to treat em.
I think of every project with a million ideas to tackle. Try things. Sometimes it’s dog crap. One idea that comes to mind….. go run a Frigin D6 in there. Make a few roads & spokes through it. Take 2-3 hours. Very easy. Then deer can travel and so can u …. Now u have roads to work off of to do basal bark treatment, tractor pulling or whatever much easier. I did that on a cedar thicket. Huge amount of work done in a few hours. Million ways to skin this cat. My ideas may be junk & many are but always thinking of most efficient & effective ways.

Lame sketch but get the idea …. This was 80 acres. Think it was like 4 hours in d6 to make lanes so get through it all easy.

IMG_8495.jpeg

Top Bottom