Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pulling stands

We loosen all ours and checks straps, etc. and reset them and move some every August and September. Its not an option for some people to take them all out and rehang every year living a few hours from our farms and having 50+ stands up

I check and reset all of ours every year and make sure they are good to go prior to the season. I try to replace straps every 2-3 years put am probably behind on a few stands. We've never had any issue with squirrels chewing the straps (they will ruin seats and even chew the rubber coating off accessory hooks) but the sun and weather can make them brittle. I've cut a few off that cut way to easy thanks to being dry rotted.

Around us the stands in Maples need a very close eye kept on them. Maples seem to grow so dang fast and they are soft so they will grow right around the legs of stands and steps. I have one stand that we forgot about, it is scheduled for removal on my next trip and will have to be cut out of the tree. Ticks me off but nobody's fault but my own!!

Don't pull any of them completely out of the woods. Aug - Sep is spent checking them over (seats, bolts, cables, tow ropes) and replacing straps, re-trimming lanes. Takes me less time to check a stand over with new supplies than to haul them all out each season.

Starting to replace hang-on stands with ladders when an older stand is pulled.

Exactly what we do. With probably 30 stands among various farms, it's just way more efficient to replace steps and straps as needed each fall. If the squirrels get into the seats too much, we occasionally bring one in to put on a new seat, but that's about it.

NWBuck

No way we would have the time to pull all of them and then re-hang them in late summer. This time of year is already too busy with shed hunting, scouting, food plots, turkey season prep, etc. It would be awesome to have the time to hang stands and check them this time of year, but it's not realistic especially considering the number of stands we are up to now. We spend July-August checking every set (straps, bow ropes, etc), re-trimming the lanes, and hanging new sets. I think either way works fine, as long as you check everything before you go to hunt it. We've never had issues with stands "wearing down" due to being left out in the elements. The quality ones seem to last just fine. Straps are a different story and obviously need to be replaced every couple of years

I try to pull mine yearly, rarely put back in same tree but always general area. No reason to leave in weather for what new ones cost. If I had 50 stands I guess maybe be different but I don't have that many days to hunt.

Top Bottom