Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pumpkin Eaters

MadisonB&C

Just got a video my neighbor made of a great buck in his back yard. Oddly enough, you see this deer take several bites out of a discarded Jack-O-Lantern. Any explanation or similar experiences?

Read an article on the on allhunting.com talking about how deer are related to pigs (they'll eat anything) It sited a study saying: "To prove that deer would eat anything, a bunch of these scientist got together and went through the stomachs of 1028 deer killed on the roads of Pennsylvania. Besides having one gooey mess they found out that deer eat a lot of different plants. They found sample of 57 different kinds of trees and shrubs and 41 different kinds of non-woody plants, including such things as beans, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrot, corn, lettuce, oats, potato, rye, soybean, strawberry,tomato and wheat."

No mention of pumpkins, but why not.

To read the full article go to http://www.outdoors.net/forums/index.asp?Forum=Hunting&Path=/forums/feature.asp&Location=Forum=Hunting^ArticleCode=27

Deer are related to pigs? Now I've heard everything.

Well I guess they are both mammals.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who hunts in Michigan where it's legal to bait deer and he claims the best bait by far is cabbage.

Driftless is correct. Deer are close relatives to pigs.

Regarding pumpkins, one of my neighbors sells pumpkins in the fall and has a huge patch. This winter I have seen deer in the pumpkin patch on several occasions. I assume they are eating the leftover pumpkins or maybe even the plants.

Madison B&C,

I'm one of those guys who likes to nickname the bucks in my area, so if I were you, I'd call the buck in the video "Peter-Peter". Sorry, I couldn't resist.
grin.gif

NWBuck

Years ago i hunted an area were potato farming is big business and many places in the fields were pawed up from the deer going after the potatoes, and yes have also heard of deer eating punkins.

Top Bottom