Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pumpkins

deerdown

While most of you are still grinding out the season, some of us are thinking about next years food plots and habitat plans.

No, it's not that I filled my tags, on the contrary, I didn't hunt at all this year and have no plans to enter the game at this point. The new job has been kicking my rear, and I lost my in-state permission farm. Lot's of excuses to be sure.....if I were to be honest, I've just lost some of the drive.

Regardless, I still love doing food plots and improving the land and feeding the wildlife.

Onto the topic: Pumpkins - Unfortunately, my last 2 years of pumpkin patches of 1/3a each were a failure. 3 years ago I had a decent start but missed a spraying or 2 for foxtail and it impacted my final crop. The last 2 years I believe were a lack moisture problem. I planted all sorts of seed, pumpkins, PPT, wheat, crimson clover, buckwheat, etc and nothing really grew, except, for my German Millet and Egyptian wheat.
So I am planning to plant pumpkins where I had my German Millet last year. I heavily limed it last year, and I have hydrants nearby where I could water. The area is about an acre, but I plan to only use about 1/2 of it for pumpkins and I want to see if the German Millet will reseed itself on the other half for quail feed/cover.

I don't know how best to prep the ground at this point. This is an area that I burned last year. I don't know if I should burn it again where I plan to plan pumpkins, if I should plant the pumpkin seeds in June and then crimp the millet, if I should mow then plant? Should I spray 2,4d 4 weeks prior to planting? I plan to use Clethodim to combat foxtail later in the seaon.

Any and all good advice welcome - I know one member is pretty knowledgeable on the topic @Bucksnbears

Millet before it headed out, and after with some Egyptian Wheat as a screen on the left
Resized_Resized_20230716_101939.jpeg
20230902_133911.jpg

I wonder if u could roll that down into a mat!!!?!???!?!?!
I’d 1000% go with pre-emergents. U could burn down with gly & 2,4-d. I’d be adding high rates of pre’s. Especially S-metolachlor which is very good on grasses. I’d personally want to run highest labeled rates of 3 different pre’s. I’d do 3 so u get broad coverage, longer coverage and because u got a weed seed bank full of foxtail. U could run 1 or 2 of the 3 on a second pass with clethodim & crop oil for example.
Use this chart & make sure u get plenty of pre’s. The cost is “minimal” & will save u from a disaster. None of these are restricted use.

I’m also wanting to grow a pumpkin patch plot. Will be following this. Very little plot experience here but what if you planted clover or turnips in the spring to help with weed control. Bring in a garden tiller come June, make your mounds plant pumpkins. Then come July/August over seed the areas between mounds (try not to crowd your mounds) with turnips/radishes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom