Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Purple Top Turnips

buck160

I planted a acre of purple top turnips on August 13th. Just wondering if that was a little late or no? To explain the plot to you guys it is 3 acres of sorghum and 1 acre of turnips around the outside and 2 alley ways through the middle of the sorghum plot with turnips also. I have a deer heard of 50 or so, how fast will they destroy the plot?

I think you should be OK

Dbltree recommends planting turnips/brassicas around Aug. 1 each year, but there have been multiple nice rains in southern Iowa following your planting date so my guess is that you will be just fine.

Now if you were running a little late planting and then didn't get any rain following that you might have a pretty sparse showing. I planted mine on Aug. 8th and I am curious to get a look at them this weekend.

We plant our Brassica blends with PT turnip in right about now and even up to Labor Day weekend. I live in SE Wisconsin along the lake between GB and Milwaukee. So, no you are not too late at all in planting, even early in my opinion. They will be plenty big for hunting season.

I planted a acre of purple top turnips on August 13th. Just wondering if that was a little late or no? To explain the plot to you guys it is 3 acres of sorghum and 1 acre of turnips around the outside and 2 alley ways through the middle of the sorghum plot with turnips also. I have a deer heard of 50 or so, how fast will they destroy the plot?

If they like brassicas they may destroy it (regardless of planting date) by mid October but they may also not touch them until snow and cold weather. Brassica usage is impossible to predict the firt time you plant them.

You will have plenty of growth, but if they do in fact eat them well, then next year consider planting in late July to get a little more growth.

Rape and turnips are 60-90 day brassicas so mid July is about the earliest you can plant and not have them get mature and go to seed, at which point they will rot!

You can plant all the way up to early September and get some growth but maximum growth or yield will be 60-90 days before your usual killing frosts. :)

I broadcast seeded some PT Turnips amongst some of the bare spots in my bean plot about ten days ago or so. I got some great rain to beat them in and have all popped up now and looks like they will make it. Question- how fast wil they grow and can I expect em to get any size yet before frost?

I planted a blend of Turnips\Rape tonight. I was wondering the same thing. I went heavy on the rate thinking it will be more forage than anything else... Time will tell.....

Top Bottom