Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Push or sit shotgunning?

Bowhunt

Just wondering how you guys hunt shotgun season? And wondered if you saw more deer sitting of pushing or sitting?

Well I like to do both, but at first I will sit and if I am not seeing much after a few days of all day sits I will get ahold of 2 or 3 fellow hunters and do some still hunting while one of 2 of us sits on stand.

So how are you successfull?

We'll do it pretty much the same way. We'll start with a couple of still hunters earlier, after 9:00AM Saturday. Maybe two out of six moving at one time and walking to the next guy, then taking stand while a different piece of timber gets walked through. One of my brothers can't sit to long and it works well for me. We rarely do strait drives except on some of the smaller out of the way spots that hold pressured deer.

For all 11 years or so that I have slug hunted, I have always sat on stand.....and lemme tell ya, I see so many deer, I lose track. My dad (who has stand hunted during the slug season for probably 25 years), brother-in-law, 2 uncles, and a couple cousins also sit in treestands or ground blinds during slug season and all have excellent success doing so. You have to dress warmly, though! I will be out this weekend looking for a nice one.....probably won't even fire a shot, but there is something about sitting out in the woodlots listening to the first shots of opening day....and knowing that you will see some deer coming your way!!
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

It's certainly going to be colder this year than recent years past. I'm up here in SE Minnesota and it's real cold today. I hope it will be a little different this weekend. I too will be hunting in West Central Iowa on Saturday with Ironwood. We will have the hunters that won't be able to sit still and it's really just a matter of time. I'm situated on a funnel and with the wind anywhere out of the north it's going to be pretty good. If I get cold I won't be moving too far or fast. They will come through anytime during the day. I was fortunate to shoot a typical 158" 10pt. last year and if I'm not mounting it it's going to pass even at $309.00. I might be bringing home a doe but I know I will see plenty of deer and some awesome bucks! Good Luck and be safe!

Good Luck to to you, I will also be hunting in West Central Iowa. I have taken some decent bucks in the area, and this year I will set my standards higher thanwhat I have shot yet. I hope to fill a doe tag and maybe if I am lucky get one bigger than I already have on the wall.

I like to sit.

I get away from everyone else as much as possible. Like my bowhunting, I prefer seeing and shooting at undisturbed deer.

I typically have many chances to harvest a deer, just depends on what my standards are. (we are so fortunate to be able to set standards
smile.gif
)

Top Bottom